“I feel like we’re being invaded, like it’s 1965 all over again”

12 Comments

Those are the words of Astin Jacobo, a buscon from the Dominican Republic. He, and many like him, are not at all pleased about what appears to be inevitable: Major League Baseball expanding the draft to the D.R..

Or maybe it is, um, evitable. As this story from The Economist suggests, there are some who are thinking about their options if MLB decides to go that route:

Many buscones talk of a strike. But they have not formed a union. Even if they do, they could not stop their players from opting to sign with MLB teams.

That leaves the government. Felipe Payano, the sports minister, has already written a letter to Bud Selig, MLB’s commissioner, expressing his opposition to a draft. He says his office is investigating whether it might violate the DR’s free-trade agreement with America. Another option would be to sue MLB for collusion under Dominican antitrust law.

Sounds like a pipe dream, but it does suggest the general dissatisfaction of many at how Major League Baseball seems intent on taking away the right of Dominican players to sell their services to the highest bidder.  Or, as Jacobo puts it in greater detail:

“I feel like we’re being invaded, like it’s 1965 all over again. We’re only number one in one thing, and that’s baseball. We can’t give that away.”

They won’t necessarily be giving it all away.  But they’ll definitely be selling it a much lower price if the draft comes.

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.

Dave Roberts: It “doesn’t make sense” for Scott Kazmir to start year in Dodgers’ rotation

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
2 Comments

Scott Kazmir won’t begin the regular season in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Manager Dave Roberts said after Kazmir’s Cactus League outing on Sunday that it “doesn’t make sense” for the ailing Kazmir to break camp in the rotation, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. The lefty will instead rehab some more and join the rotation at a later time.

Kazmir has been battling a hip issue which has caused his mechanics to suffer. He was clocked in the low 80’s 10 days ago and wasn’t much better on Sunday afternoon.

Last season with the Dodgers, Kazmir posted a 4.56 ERA with a 134/52 K/BB ratio in 136 1/3 innings, his worst numbers since returning to the majors in 2013.