Yoenis Cespedes says the Cubs have had “the most interest”

8 Comments

Last week Yoenis Cespedes named six teams that have shown heavy interest in signing him and yesterday the Cuban outfielder revealed that the Cubs have had “the most interest in me.”

Cespedes told the Associated Press that he’s “had dinner a couple of times” with Cubs officials and “they have shown more interest than others.” Of course, he also added that “we have talked a lot, but that doesn’t mean that I am going to sign with them.”

In the meantime, Cespedes has struggled mightily in the Dominican winter league after many people wondered why he’d risk hurting his market value with a sub par performance in front of scouts.

And while the Cubs have shown the most interest in him the White Sox are also in the mix, with fellow Cuban defector Dayan Viciedo doing his best to recruit Cespedes to the South Side.

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.