Wow: WBBM Newsradio in Chicago is reporting that Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro has been accused of sexually assaulting a Chicago woman last September. No charges have been filed and he has not been arrested, but he is wanted for questioning.
WBBM has obtained a police report — heavily redacted — that says Castro took to woman to his apartment after a night of drinking. The woman blacked out, the report says, and when she awoke, Castro was assaulting her. CBS Chicago.com summarizes the report thusly:
It says that when she woke up she screamed and yelled at her alleged attacker, and left the apartment at about 5:30 a.m. getting a ride home from her friend. It would be 12 hours before the alleged victim would go to a hospital, and police would become involved.
By then, it is believed that Castro was on a plane, heading home to the Dominican Republic for the off-season.
He has not been back to the United States since then. His agent, Paul Kinzer, declined to comment as have the Cubs.
We’re going to be hearing more about this, obviously. Updates as they occur.
UPDATE: Attorneys for Castro have released a statement saying that they believe the allegations to be baseless.
The Rockies activated first baseman Ian Desmond from the 10-day disabled list on Sunday, the club announced. Cristhian Adames was designated for assignment to create roster space. Desmond is in Sunday’s lineup against the Diamondbacks, batting sixth.
Desmond, 31, signed a five-year, $70 million contract with the Rockies in December. In March, he was unfortunately hit by a pitch and suffered a broken left hand. He underwent surgery to repair the damage.
Desmond had been playing in extended spring training as a precursor to rehab games, but he looked so good that the Rockies decided to activate him from the disabled list a little early.
This wasn’t how Aaron Sanchez was supposed to make his triumphant return from the disabled list. The Blue Jays’ right-hander was activated for his first start on Sunday after undergoing a minor surgical procedure to have part of his fingernail removed. According to MLB.com’s Gregor Chisholm, the surgery should have accelerated the healing process for a troublesome blister, and the team appeared confident in the right-hander’s ability to take the mound for the tail end of their homestand. Instead, Sanchez lasted just 13 pitches before exiting the game with a split nail on his right middle finger.
The team has yet to address Sanchez’s revised timetable for return, but Chisholm points out that they should be able to roll with their current rotation through May 9. If he sits out longer, the Jays could turn to left-hander J.A. Happ, who should be eligible to start sometime next month after he makes a full recovery from a bout of left elbow inflammation.
Sanchez, 24, entered Sunday with a 4.38 ERA, 2.9 BB/9 and 6.6 SO/9 through 12 1/3 innings with Toronto. He was replaced by right-handed reliever Ryan Tepera in the top of the second inning.