Agent says Francisco Cordero has multi-year contract offers

14 Comments

General manager Walt Jocketty revealed last week that the Reds have kept their one-year offer to Francisco Cordero on the table and the two sides continue to talk, but today agent Bean Stringfellow indicated that the veteran closer has multi-year offers from other teams.

“We’re making progress on a lot of fronts,” Stringfellow told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. “Multi-year contracts are definitely involved. The Reds are involved and are still interested in bringing him back. I am talking with them on a regular basis.”

Cordero is coming off a four-year, $45 million deal and saved 37 games last season, but he’s also 37 years old and saw his strikeout rate plummet to a career-low 5.4 per nine innings. Cincinnati declined his $12 million option for 2012, paying him a $1 million buyout instead.

Toss in the fact that Ryan Madson is still on the market and if Stringfellow can secure a multi-year contract for Cordero he’ll certainly have more than earned his commission.

Andrew Miller left Monday’s game due to reaggravation of patella tendinitis

Jason Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Indians reliever Andrew Miller lasted only six pitches in Monday night’s appearance against the Red Sox. He walked Mookie Betts on six pitches before being relieved by Dan Otero. Per MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, Miller reaggravated the patella tendinitis in his right knee.

Miller, 32, missed a couple of weeks earlier this month with patella tendinitis. He was activated last Friday and got two outs in a scoreless appearance against the Royals that night.

Bastian pointed out that Miller’s velocity has been lower than usual. He averaged 92.1 MPH on his fastball on Friday and 90.1 MPH on Monday, well below his normal average around 94 MPH.

The Indians should have more on Miller’s status after Monday’s game or on Tuesday. The lefty is carrying a 1.65 ERA with a 79/16 K/BB ratio in 54 2/3 innings on the season.

Joey Gallo and Matt Bush both experiencing concussion symptoms after colliding on Sunday

Tom Pennington/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rangers third baseman Joey Gallo and reliever Matt Bush collided attempting to catch an infield pop-up during Sunday afternoon’s game against the White Sox. Bush was placed on the 10-day disabled list on Monday with an MCL sprain in his right knee. Both he and Gallo are experiencing concussion symptoms, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports, and Gallo also suffered a nasal fracture. Gallo has not yet been put on the disabled list.

Losing both players is a big loss for the Rangers, who entered Monday’s action just 2.5 games out of the second Wild Card slot.

Gallo, 23, has had a breakout season, batting .205/.329/.561 with 35 home runs, 65 RBI, and 68 runs scored in 410 plate appearances.

Bush, 31, has been solid out of the bullpen, putting up a 3.04 ERA with a 53/18 K/BB ratio in 47 1/3 innings.