UPDATE: The Tigers have some more competition. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Marlins also have “serious interest” in Garza.
The Cubs are believed to have prospect outfielder and 2010 first-round pick Christian Yelich on their radar while Rosenthal hears the Marlins are willing to part with the likes of first baseman Gaby Sanchez, outfielder Chris Coghlan, reliever Jose Ceda and third base prospect Matt Dominguez in potential trades.
10:25 PM: It’s no secret that the Cubs are shopping right-hander Matt Garza as the new front office lays the groundwork for a rebuilding plan. Early word had the Blue Jays, Yankees and Red Sox as potential landing spots. However, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that the Tigers have also emerged as as suitor.
The Tigers were involved in trade talks with the Athletics for left-hander Gio Gonzalez before he was traded to the Nationals last week. However, talks fell apart after they refused to give up prospect third baseman Nick Castellanos along with prospect right-hander Jacob Turner. The thought is that the price tag won’t be nearly as high for Garza, as he is under team control through 2013 while Gonzalez is under team control through 2015. Should still be pretty hefty, though.
Garza, who turned 28 in November, owns a 3.83 ERA over his first six seasons in the big leagues, averaging 7.5 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. He posted a 3.32 ERA and a career-high 197 strikeouts over 198 innings this past season with the Cubs.
Hanley Ramirez played a pivotal role during the Red Sox’ 9-4 win over the Angels on Friday night, crushing a two-run homer off of Alex Meyer to bring the Sox up to a four-run lead in the fourth inning.
Well, crushed might be the wrong word. The ball cleared the right field fence with a mere 350 feet, landing just beyond Pesky’s Pole to bring Ramirez’s career home run total to an even 250.
According to the ESPN Home Run Tracker, Ramirez’s milestone blast wasn’t the shortest home run of the year — not by a long shot. That distinction currently belongs to Rays’ outfielder Corey Dickerson, who skimmed the left field fence at Rogers Centre with a 326-foot homer back in April.
It’s shortstop or bust for Asdrubal Cabrera, who told reporters Friday that he will request a trade from the Mets after getting bumped to second base (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Cabrera served as the club’s starting shortstop through the first few months of the 2017 season, but lost the role to Jose Reyes while serving a stint on the 10-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb. The switch was confirmed prior to the Mets’ series opener against the Giants on Friday, prompting Cabrera to announce his trade request before taking the field.
Per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Personally, I’m not really happy with that move,” Cabrera said. “If they have that plan, they should have told me before I came over here. I just told my agent about it. If they have that plan for me, I think it’s time to make a move. What I saw the last couple of weeks, I don’t think they have any plans for me. I told my agent, so we’re going to see what happens in the next couple weeks.
Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson appeared skeptical of Cabrera’s request, telling reporters that he wasn’t sure a trade was “something [Cabrera] really wishes” and saying the team would wait and see how the situation shakes out. That doesn’t mean the veteran infielder will see a return to short anytime soon, however, only that he might have a change of heart after settling into his new role.
This isn’t the first time Cabrera has balked at a position change. The Mets reportedly considered shifting him to third base earlier this season, but ultimately decided to keep him at short and denied his request to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2018, something Alderson said has little to no precedent. Further changes may be on the horizon when 21-year-old infield prospect Amed Rosario gets called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and second baseman Neil Walker returns from the disabled list, though the team has yet to address either situation.