UDPATE: Cubs and Reds “close” to trade involving Sean Marshall and Travis Wood

24 Comments

UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago reports that the deal is “close” and that the Cubs would receive two minor-leaguers along with Wood.

10:29 PM ET: The Reds landed Mat Latos in a blockbuster deal over the weekend, but they aren’t done on the trade front.

Ken Rosenthal on FOXSports.com reports that they are currently discussing a deal with the Cubs for left-hander Sean Marshall. Chicago is said to be eyeing left-hander Travis Wood, a pitcher who intrigued team president Theo Epstein when he was general manager of the Red Sox last season. It’s not known what other players might be in the deal.

Marshall has emerged as one of the best relievers in the game over the past two seasons, posting a quality 2.45 ERA and 169/42 K/BB ratio over 150 1/3 innings while handling righties and lefties with nearly equal aplomb. The 29-year-old left-hander is due $3.1 million next season before hitting free agency.

Wood had a disappointing 4.84 ERA in 18 starts and four relief appearances at the major league level this past season, but showed plenty of promise when he posted a 3.51 ERA and 86/26 K/BB ratio over 102 2/3 innings as a rookie in 2010. The 24-year-old southpaw doesn’t throw all that hard and profiles as a fly ball pitcher, but this is a pretty good time to attempt to buy low.

Athletics acquire Ryan LaMarre from Angels

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Athletics acquired outfielder Ryan LaMarre from the Angels for cash considerations or a player to be named later, per a team announcement on Sunday. In a corresponding move, they placed right-hander Chris Bassitt on the 60-day disabled list and assigned the outfielder to Triple-A Nashville.

LaMarre, 28, signed a one-year contract with the Angels in November, but was designated for assignment last Tuesday in order to clear roster space for veteran catcher Juan Graterol. He batted .268/.375/.341 with two extra base hits and four stolen bases through 10 games in Triple-A Salt Lake.

The outfielder has not seen a major league assignment since 2016, when he appeared in six games with the Red Sox (three times in the outfield and once on the mound) and went 0-for-5 with a walk. He’s expected to give the A’s some depth in the minors and will join Andrew Lambo, Matt McBride, Kenny Wilson and Jaycob Brugman in Nashville’s outfield.

Blue Jays place Troy Tulowitzki on 10-day disabled list with strained hamstring

Getty Images
4 Comments

Blue Jays’ shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is headed to the 10-day disabled list, club manager John Gibbons announced on Saturday. Tulowitzki left the eighth inning of Friday’s series opener when he injured his right hamstring in an attempt to steal third. Gibbons doesn’t have a concrete timetable for the infielder’s return, but told reporters that he doesn’t anticipate a lengthy recovery period.

Tulowitzki has battled numerous injuries before, from a serious quad strain to a chip fracture in his thumb, but this appears to be the first hamstring issue that has cropped up in his 12-year career. He’s the latest casualty on Toronto’s roster, which has lost Josh Donaldson, J.A. Happ, J.P. Howell, Dalton Pompey, Aaron Sanchez, Bo Schultz and Glenn Sparkman to various injuries in the last month. No official replacement has been named yet, though MLB.com’s Austin Laymance suggests that infielder Ryan Goins is ready to step in for Tulowitzki going forward.

Prior to his injury, Tulowitzki slashed .263/.295/.386 with one home run and a .681 OPS in 16 games with the Blue Jays. He went 1-for-3 on Friday with a base hit and a walk.