Jose Reyes just donned the Miami Marlins jersey. He’s talking to all of us here in the media room right now. So far his comments are the usual: he’s excited, he thanks God. The Marlins showed that they wanted him and they wanted to win. Hay Amigos? Perhaps. Perhaps.
Of course the first few questions are from New York reporters asking him if he’s disappointed with the Mets for not keeping him. They gotta beat the drum, I guess. He did later say that it was rather easy, though, because “they [didn’t] make an offer to me.” Which means, I believe, a good offer. He had some “it’s a business” comments too. There’s no sense that the Mets bugged him. It’s just a thing, no matter how hard some New York writers try to turn it into a drama.
A big question, obviously, is what this means for Hanley Ramirez. Before Reyes talked, team president Larry Beifest offered some preemptive comments about it all. The key points:
“Hanley is a key to our team … we recognize his ability and his achievements … we have every intention of him being our third baseman. Within 30 seconds of bringing in Jose we communicated with Hanley and let him know what was going on.”
Reyes himself said that he has great respect for Hanley Ramirez and that, while he has not had time to reach out to Ramirez yet, he will soon.
He was later asked about the time he had to move to second base for the Mets and whether it was hard. He said “it wasn’t hard for me, you just have to work.” A message to Mr. Ramirez? Perhaps.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.