red sox logo

Rumored Red Sox bid for Hiroyuki Nakajima creates questions

6 Comments

5:55 p.m. EDT update: It may be moot: the Red Sox are saying they did not bid for Nakajima. The winning bidder in the posting process is expected to be announced Wednesday.

///

The Red Sox already have a pair of possible starting shortstops in Marco Scutaro and Jed Lowrie, as well as a much-hyped shortstop of the future in Jose Iglesias, so what are they doing bidding on Hiroyuki Nakajima?

The obvious answer, assuming that Sponichi is right about the Red Sox likely having the high bid for Nakajima, is that they think he’s an immediate upgrade over Scutaro and Lowrie. Lowrie’s name has been coming up in trade rumors, in particular with the Rangers. Oakland would also make sense as a destination for Lowrie if there are any legs to the Andrew Bailey rumors.

But is Nakajima really better than the competition? The 29-year-old hit .297 with 16 homers, 100 RBI and a 93/44 K/BB ratio in 566 at-bats for Seibu last season. It’s the first time since 2005 that he’s hit under .300, but considering that they went to a new baseball in Japan last year and offense plummeted across the board, it was one of his most impressive seasons overall.

Nakajima’s track record is certainly more impressive that Tsuyoshi Nishioka’s. Nishioka had the one big season for Lotte in 2010, but it stood out as a career year for him. Then again, Nishioka was just 26 when he signed with the Twins. Nakajima is 29.

The Red Sox have certainly scouted Nakajima if they’re bidding on him, and Bobby Valentine is familiar with him, having managed against Nakajima’s Lions from 2005-09. The Red Sox may see Nakajima as a potential bargain in light of Nishioka’s flameout likely hurting the market for Japanese infielders. His arrival would guarantee that either Scutaro or Lowrie departs prior to Opening Day. If it’s Scutaro and his $6 million salary, then the Red Sox might have a chance to both upgrade at shortstop and reduce payroll at the same time.

Report: Mariners acquire Chris Heston from the Giants

1 Comment

Jon Morosi of MLB Network and FOX Sports reports that the Mariners have acquired starter Chris Heston from the Giants. The Giants will receive a player to be named later, per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

Heston, 28, logged only five innings in the majors this past season as he battled an oblique injury and otherwise spent most of his time with Triple-A Sacramento. Heston was solid out of the Giants’ rotation in 2015, posting a 3.95 ERA with a 141/64 K/BB ratio in 177 2/3 innings over 31 starts.

Heston will be under team control through 2021. He’ll provide depth for the Mariners’ rotation in the meantime.

Joe Nathan wants to pitch in 2017

DETROIT, MI - AUGUST 16: Joe Nathan #36 of the Detroit Tigers pitches in the ninth inning of the game against the Seattle Mariners at Comerica Park on August 16, 2014 in Detroit, Michigan. The Tigers defeated the Mariners 4-2.  (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)
Leon Halip/Getty Images
2 Comments

Joe Nathan‘s agent, David Pepe, says his client wants to pitch in 2017, per ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick. “He’s like the Energizer Bunny,” Pepe said.

Nathan, 42, came back from Tommy John surgery in July, pitching two scoreless innings for the Cubs with four strikeouts and two walks. The Cubs released him and the Giants picked him up, and Nathan went on to pitch 4 1/3 scoreless innings down the stretch with five strikeouts and two walks.

According to FanGraphs, Nathan’s velocity wasn’t where it used to be, which is to be expected of a pitcher in his 40’s coming back from major elbow surgery. Still, with teams always on the hunt for bullpen depth, it would be shocking if Nathan didn’t get any bites before spring training starts.