We know the Angels want another starter. It doesn’t seem at all likely that they’d want to subtract one immediately afterwards, but according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, the Angels are fielding calls about Ervin Santana from teams thinking they have the inside track on C.J. Wilson.
The Angels would probably prefer to go into next season with a big four of Jered Weaver, Wilson, Dan Haren and Santana in their rotation, but it wouldn’t hurt to listen in case someone wants to offer them a top infielder for Santana. Although he finished 11-12, Santana had one of his best seasons last year. His 3.38 ERA ranked 14th in the AL, and he threw a career-high 228 2/3 innings.
As for his contract, Santana will earn $11.2 million next year. There’s also a $13 million club option for 2013. He’d become a free agent if that’s declined.
In return for Santana, the Angels would likely prefer an established corner infielder capable of hitting in the middle of the order. Boston’s Kevin Youkilis would make sense. Florida’s Gaby Sanchez probably wouldn’t fit the bill, though Logan Morrison might.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.