After we learned last night that Hanley Ramirez was “distraught” about the prospect of changing positions to make room for free agent shortstop Jose Reyes, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that he has told the Marlins he doesn’t want to play third base.
“Hanley doesn’t want to play third base and the Marlins were informed of that,” the source said. “Rather than ask for a trade, what he has done is to inform (the team) that he does not want to play another position other than shortstop.” Meanwhile, Andy Mota, Ramirez’s agent, said to ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com about the situation: “no comment.”
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post was told by a Marlins’ official that Ramirez has not asked to be traded, but it doesn’t take much to read between the lines here. It’s all speculation for now, but perhaps we’ll hear something more substantial from Ramirez’s agent when Reyes’ contract is made official tomorrow.
Ramirez, who signed a six-year, $70 million contract extension with the Marlins in May of 2008, is owed $15 million next season, $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.