Pedro Martinez is planning to retire

37 Comments

According to beat writer Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, 40-year-old right-hander Pedro Martinez told reporters on Saturday night that he’s planning to officially retire from baseball.

Pedro sat out the entire 2010 and 2011 seasons, and hinted at hanging up his cleats during an interview back in May. So the announcement comes as no surprise.

The sure-fire Hall of Famer posted a 3.63 ERA and 37/8 K/BB ratio in 44 2/3 innings for the Phillies in 2009. He’ll finish up with a sparkling 219-100 career record, a 2.93 career ERA and a 1.05 career WHIP. He struck 3,154 batters over an 18-year career.

Martinez said he’s planning to visit Boston and other cities as part of a reunion tour next summer.

Red Sox Triple-A team to ban people named Tyler and Austin from stadium on May 5 and 6 as part of promotion

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Pawtucket Red Sox, obviously the Triple-A affiliate of the Red Sox, have come up with an interesting promotion for the weekend of May 5 and 6, when they host the Yankees’ Triple-A team from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

This, of course, references last week’s benches-clearing fracas between the Red Sox and Yankees that involved Joe Kelly and Tyler Austin. Kelly slid hard into second base, which upset Brock Holt. The benches emptied as the two jawed at each other, but no punches were thrown. Later in the game, Kelly threw at Austin and the benches emptied again. Punches were thrown this time and both players were given suspensions.

The major league Red Sox visit the Yankees May 8-10. As far as we’re aware, people named Joe or Kelly are allowed to attend.