UPDATE: The Marlins pursuit of Jose Reyes is not exactly going anywhere

14 Comments

UPDATE:  Or maybe not.  Jayson Stark says that the Marlins have made very little headway.  So, just like, never mind.

Probably a safe assumption that the Marlins, while not totally full of it given their signing of Heath Bell, happen to still be full of quite a bit of it.

4:30 PM We heard this morning that the Marlins were going to sweeten their offer for Jose Reyes. Underscoring that: Jim Bowden said a few minutes ago that Miami is putting on “an all-out press” to get the shortstop.  They’ll apparently stop at nothing — not even mixing metaphors — to get a deal done.

Bowden says the Marlins want to have Reyes locked up by the time the Winter Meetings start on Monday. If so, they’ll have to do better than the six-year $90 million offer they reportedly had out previously.

The Mariners have made an offer to bring back Hisashi Iwakuma

Getty Images
1 Comment

Hisashi Iwakuma tells the Japan Times that the Mariners have made him an offer to return.

Iwakuma became a free agent earlier this month after the Mariners, not surprisingly, declined his $10 million option for 2018. Iwakuma says that it’s “not a done deal,” but “hopefully I will be able to make a positive announcement soon.”

Iwakuma, who turns 37 early next season, made only six starts in 2017, posting a 4.35 ERA, 3.5 BB/9 and 4.6 SO/9 over 31 innings. He went on the disabled list in May and never returned to action, undergoing arthroscopic debridement surgery in September. He hopes to be recovered fully by spring training.