Marlins acquire left-hander Wade LeBlanc from Padres for catcher John Baker

5 Comments

The Marlins just announced that they have acquired left-hander Wade LeBlanc from the Padres in exchange for catcher John Baker.

The Marlins have 11 players who are eligible for arbitration this winter and John Buck is already locked in as their primary starting catcher, so swapping Baker for LeBlanc makes plenty of sense.

LeBlanc, 27, went 5-6 with a 4.63 ERA and 51/28 K/BB ratio in 79 2/3 innings over 14 starts with the Padres this season. He will almost certainly miss pitching in the cozy confines of PETCO Park, as evidenced by his 2.97 career ERA at home and 6.16 ERA on the road, but he could be a decent fit in the back of Florida’s rotation. While they remain in the mix for C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle, adding a left-handed starter was a priority for the Marlins this winter.

Baker missed most of the season following Tommy John surgery, but batted .154 (2-for-13) after being activated from the disabled list in September. The 30-year-old backstop is a .271/.356/.401 hitter in the big leagues and has a .782 career OPS against right-handed pitching, so he could make for a nice little tandem with the right-handed hitting Nick Hundley.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.