Being a Braves fan was its most fun when a potentially-crazy billionaire owned them. We won’t get a second go-around of that, however, because Mark Cuban told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution yesterday that he has no interest in buying the team.
Now, the Braves aren’t for sale, but that doesn’t mean this is a wholly academic exercise. The team’s current owner — Liberty Media — may very well look to move the team soon because of the terms of the deal it made with Time-Warner when it bought the team four years ago, requiring that they keep the team until the current collective bargaining agreement expires, and that’s in a couple of weeks. There are some tax consequences to it all too. And given that the very purchase of the team seemed to be driven by some sort of corporate financial calculation rather than any animate feelings for baseball, it’s not like Liberty has any kind of real attachment to the Bravos.
But back to Cuban: he told Dave O’Brien of the AJC that he prefers “franchises that need a lot of help,” and that “the Braves have a great franchise.” And that means that he wouldn’t be interested if the team was put on the market.
Crap. Anyone know any other potentially-crazy billionaires? Miss you.
Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.
This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.
Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”
This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.
Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:
“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”