Ryan Madson

Report: Ryan Madson, Heath Bell won’t cost draft picks

14 Comments

The story is still developing, but according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, the top relievers left on the market will not require draft-pick compensation once the new CBA goes into effect next week.

Ryan Madson, Heath Bell and Francisco Rodriguez are among the relievers to be affected by the change.

Rosenthal says the Phillies will still have to surrender their first-round pick for signing Jonathan Papelbon. Also, top free agents like Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder, Jose Reyes, Jimmy Rollins and David Ortiz will continue to cost a first-round pick to sign. However, lesser former Type A free agents will no longer cost a pick. Instead, new draft picks will be created to provide compensation for the teams losing free agents.

This would seem to rate as very good news for the Red Sox, Blue Jays and anyone else who might be looking to pick up a closer. Certainly Madson and Bell are going to be more attractive to Boston and Toronto now that neither will cost a first-round pick.

It’s also good news for those players, as well as fellow Type A free agents Francisco Cordero, Matt Capps and Octavio Dotel. Now, neither Capps nor Dotel was likely to be offered arbitration anyway, so they weren’t really going to cost their signing teams a free agent. But at least this means they have the opportunity to sign with teams now rather than waiting until the arbitration deadline.

According to Rosenthal, this winter’s effort is primarily a stopgap measure. For 2012 and beyond, the Elias Rankings will be abolished and teams will have to make qualifying offers (reportedly north of $12 million per year) in order to receive compensation for free agents who leave.

Report: White Sox, Nationals making “strong progress” on a Chris Sale deal

CHICAGO, IL - SEPTEMBER 27:  Starting pitcher Chris Sale #49 of the Chicago White Sox deliivers the ball against the Tampa Bay Rays at U.S. Cellular Field on September 27, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the White Sox and Nationals are making “strong progress” on a trade involving ace Chris Sale. Most reports coming out on Monday night suggest that a deal isn’t likely to be consummated until Tuesday at the earliest.

Sale, 27, has pitched in the majors over parts of seven seasons. He owns a career 74-50 record with a 3.00 ERA and a 1,244/260 K/BB ratio in 1,110 innings. The lefty will earn $12 million in 2017, then has a club option for 2018 worth $12.5 million with a $1 million buyout as well as a 2019 club option worth $13.5 million with a $1 million buyout. Relative to what he would earn if he were a free agent today, Sale’s remaining salary is a bargain.

The Nationals would likely have to part with several of their top prospects. MLB Pipeline lists pitcher Lucas Giolito, outfielder Victor Robles, and pitcher Reynoldo Lopez in the club’s top-three.

Adding Sale would arguably give the Nationals claim to the best starting rotation in baseball as he would join 2016 NL Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg.

There are other teams in the mix for Sale. The Red Sox and Astros have also talked with the White Sox about the lefty’s services.

Moises Alou pledges to help Cubs give “closure” to Steve Bartman

CHICAGO - OCTOBER 7:  Moises Alou #18 of the Chicago Cubs hits a two-run home run in the first inning against thye Florida Marlins during game one of the National League Championship Series October 7, 2003 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois.  (Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)
Brian Bahr/Getty Images
4 Comments

After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”

Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.

Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.

Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.