Jorge Posada confirms he won’t be back with Yankees

18 Comments

This will come as no surprise to anyone with a basic knowledge of the Yankees’ roster. But, alas…

According to the AP, via NBCSports.com, free agent Jorge Posada said Wednesday before an annual dinner for his charitable foundation that he will not be back with the Yankees for the 2012 season.

Posada also told reporters that he hasn’t completely ruled out retirement, though he has already drawn free agent interest from “five to six” MLB teams.

“I feel I’m undecided,” said Posada. “I don’t know if I want to play. I don’t know if I want to stay home. I’m having fun with the kids and with the family, but I don’t know what I want to do. I don’t want to make the mistake of telling you that I’m not going to play or telling you that I’m going to play when I don’t know what I want to do. … I will always be a Yankee.”

Posada batted just .235/.315/.398 in 387 plate appearances this season. He is no longer a capable catcher and probably shouldn’t be signed as anything more than a part-time designated hitter. But the 40-year-old could probably find an incentives-based major league contract if he truly wants to continue his career.

The Yanks will turn DH duties over to a combination of Jesus Montero, Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter.

Steve Delabar among three suspended after testing positive

Leon Halip/Getty Image
Leave a comment

Three players were suspended on Monday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. They are: Indians pitcher Steve Delabar, Mariners pitcher Jonathan Aro, and free agent pitcher Jeffry Hernandez. Aro got a 50-game suspension while the other two were handed 80-game suspensions.

Delabar, 33, hasn’t pitched yet this season after signing a minor league deal with the Indians back in January. He spent last year with the Reds as well as the Hiroshima Carp in the Japan Central League. The right-hander has struggled over the last few seasons.

Aro, 26, also hasn’t appeared yet this season in the minors. He’s worked mostly in relief. The right-hander appeared briefly in the majors with the Mariners last season and logged 10 1/3 innings in the show with the Red Sox in 2015. Aro went to the Mariners along with Wade Miley in the trade that brought the Red Sox Carson Smith and Roenis Elias.

Hernandez, 22, is a free agent and his suspension will be effective if and when he signs with a new team.

Phillies place Aaron Nola on the disabled list

Win McNamee/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Phillies announced on Monday that starter Aaron Nola has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 21, with a lower back strain.

Nola, 23, compiled a 4.50 ERA with a 15/6 K/BB ratio over his first three starts spanning 16 innings. He felt some back soreness during his last start on Thursday against the Mets, and it lingered when he had a side session on Sunday.

CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury hears that the Phillies are likely to call up Nick Pivetta from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take Nola’s place in the rotation. Nola was scheduled to start on Wednesday.

Pivetta, 24, was acquired from the Nationals in the Jonathan Papelbon trade in July 2015. At Triple-A so far, Pivetta has given up only two earned runs on 12 hits and two walks with 24 strikeouts in 19 innings.