willie-bloomquist-diamondbacks

Diamondbacks re-sign Willie Bloomquist to two-year deal

5 Comments

Whatever bad blood there was between agent Scott Boras and the Diamondbacks over the Willie Bloomquist situation was short-lived, as Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that Arizona has re-signed the veteran utility man to a two-year, $3.8 million contract.

Boras said earlier this week that the Diamondbacks were upset with Bloomquist for declining his half of a $1.1 million mutual option for 2012, so they acted quickly to re-sign fellow utility man John McDonald to a two-year deal instead. Or as Boras put it: “They got emotional and they went out and signed a guy who hit .169.”

Now that “guy who hit.169” is Bloomquist’s teammate again.

And ultimately Bloomquist was obviously smart to decline the $1.1 million option, because he got a 72 percent salary bump and an extra year of guaranteed money at age 34. Must have been the .657 OPS.

Bloomquist was pushed into regular action at shortstop this year because of Stephen Drew’s injury, but the plan for 2012 likely involves him filling a more typical bench role. McDonald is now somewhat redundant, although his value is almost strictly from middle infield defense whereas Bloomquist is at least a somewhat useful hitter and will be used all over the diamond. Still, that’s a lot of money to invest in a pair of banjo-hitting mid-30s utility men.

Drew Pomeranz: “I definitely feel like I can maybe help (as a reliever in the playoffs).”

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 5:  Drew Pomeranz #31 of the Boston Red Sox pitches during the second inning of a baseball game against the San Diego Padres at PETCO Park on September 5, 2016 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox starter Drew Pomeranz hasn’t pitched in a week due to soreness in his left forearm. He threw a bullpen on Thursday afternoon and said, “I definitely feel like I can maybe help (as a reliever in the playoffs,” as ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

The Red Sox clinched the AL East on Wednesday, so they don’t need to rush Pomeranz along. And using him out of the bullpen might ultimately be best as he regressed quite a bit after coming to Boston from San Diego in July. In 13 starts with the Red Sox, Pomeranz has a 4.68 ERA with a 69/24 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 innings.

Eduardo Rodriguez and Clay Buchholz have been throwing the ball quite well as of late. Paired with Rick Porcello and David Price, the Red Sox still have the depth to be menacing in the postseason.

Jesus Montero suspended 50 games for use of a stimulant

Seattle Mariners' Jesus Montero follows through on an RBI-double in the first inning of a spring training baseball game against the Kansas City Royals, Saturday, March 19, 2016, in Surprise, Ariz. (John Sleezer/The Kansas City Star via AP) MANDATORY CREDIT
4 Comments

Remember Jesus Montero? The former Yankees and Mariners prospect? Well, he was picked up by the Blue Jays back in March after the Mariners waived him and played 126 games for Triple-A Buffalo this year. That went alright, I suppose, with Montero hitting .317/.349/.438 with 11 homers. He played a bit of first base too, trying to break the mold he’s been stuck in as a 26-year-old DH.

If this season was a platform for him to make one last push to the bigs, the platform was just pulled out from under him: he has been suspended for 50 games after testing positive for dimethylbutylamine (DMBA), a stimulant in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

The minor league season is over, of course, so he’ll serve that suspension next season. Assuming the Jays keep him in the fold.