The Yankees plan to talk to C.J. Wilson

26 Comments

“Pitching, pitching, pitching.”

Those were the words of Yankees general manager Brian Cashman earlier this week, fresh off wrapping up a contract extension for ace left-hander CC Sabathia.

The Yankees haven’t been shy about their focus this offseason, so it comes as no surprise that Cashman told Dan Martin of the New York Post that he plans to talk to free agent left-hander C.J. Wilson.

“We haven’t talked to him yet, but we will,” Cashman said. “They have won a lot and he’s been a big part of that, so we’ll certainly talk to him.”

Of course, just because the Yankees will talk to Wilson doesn’t mean a deal will actually happen. The 30-year-old southpaw is considered the top target in a weak free agent class for starting pitching, so Cashman wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t talk to the guy. And hey, it never hurts a free agent to have the big-spending Yankees involved in the conversation.

Wilson has a 3.14 ERA since joining the starting rotation in 2010, but really struggled this postseason, going 0-3 with a 5.79 ERA and 26/19 K/BB ratio over 28 innings. Cashman isn’t ready to write him off as an option, though, telling Martin that Wilson “has shown he can perform in a hitters’ environment in Texas.”

Report: Royals sign Neftali Feliz

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
1 Comment

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.

Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.

The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.

Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base upon return from DL

Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images
1 Comment

Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.

Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.

In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).