Steve Garvey and a billion others line up to bid on the Dodgers

28 Comments

ESPN Los Angeles is reporting that former Dodger first baseman Steve Garvey is preparing to put in a bid for the team in the upcoming bankruptcy auction which will finally wrest control of the team from the clutches of Frank McCourt.

Garvey went on record last February with his interest in buying the team.  Of course back then the team wasn’t for sale and Garvey was a team employee, so his ambitions got him fired.

As I said back then, one has to wonder whether a motivational speaker/informercial king/VIP greeter/paternity suit magnet like Garvey who, by some reports, has had personal financial difficulties of his own over the years is really someone who can rope together a billion bucks from investors. But this being an auction, Garvey’s financial bona fides will be checked beforehand and his group approved by Major League Baseball before he’s allowed to bid.

There appear to be no shortage of other groups trying to get a bid together. Former owner Peter O’Malley said he is.  Mark Cuban may.  Former agent Dennis Gilbert, who was in pursuit for the Rangers last year, may also be interested.  And of course there are always heavily-moneyed people you’ve never heard of who show up on the scene in such instances.

The kicker to all of this: if the bidding does get hot and heavy and the price goes up, Frank McCourt may actually walk away from this thing with a lot of dough even after he pays off his copious debts.  Which would push me that much closer to simply becoming a nihilist.

Twins place Miguel Sano on the 10-day disabled list with shin injury

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Twins have placed third baseman Miguel Sano on the 10-day disabled list with a stress reaction in his left shin, per the Star Tribune’s LaVelle E. Neal. Sano left Saturday’s game against the Diamondbacks after running out a ground ball double play in the fourth inning and was held out of Sunday’s lineup.

Sano, 24, is batting .267/.356/.514 with 28 home runs and 77 RBI in 475 plate appearances this season. The Twins are five back of the Indians for first place in the AL Central and currently hold a tie with the Angels for the second Wild Card slot.

Ehire Adrianza got the start at third base during Sunday’s win and could handle the hot corner while Sano is out. Eduardo Escobar could also get some time at third.

Buster Posey thinks Hector Neris hit him on purpose

Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images
11 Comments

Giants catcher Buster Posey was hit by a pitch in the bottom of the eighth inning during Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Phillies. It was a first-pitch fastball from closer Hector Neris, who had just entered the game. The Giants then had the bases loaded, but Pablo Sandoval struck out to end the inning and the Giants went on to lose 5-2.

After the game, Posey said he thinks Neris hit him on purpose, per Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Posey thinks Neris thought he couldn’t get him out.

Per MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, Neris said “absolutely not” when asked if he threw at Posey on purpose. The rest of the Phillies clubhouse, per Zolecki, “Say whaaat?!”

Here’s a link to the video of Posey getting hit. Now that we have automatic intentional walks, pitchers don’t even have to risk throwing four pitches wide of the strike zone to intentionally walk a hitter, so if Neris felt he couldn’t get Posey out, there was still no need to hit him. Furthermore, Neris isn’t going to hit Posey to load the bases and put the go-ahead run on first in a 4-2 ballgame. Sandoval has been a much worse hitter than Posey, for sure, but Neris would lose the platoon advantage if he felt like facing Sandoval instead, anyway.

Getting hit hurts, so it’s understandable Posey may have been salty in the moment. But after the game, when the pain has subsided and he’s had time to think over everything, there’s no way Posey should still come to the conclusion that Neris was trying to hit him on purpose.