There’s still a belief that Mark Cuban wouldn’t be welcomed by Bud Selig in the club of MLB owners, but that didn’t stop him from offering to buy the Dodgers earlier this year.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that Cuban inquired about the Dodgers “several months ago,” but that he declined to enter negotiations after Frank McCourt said the price tag would be in the range of $1-$1.2 billion.
“At that price, I wasn’t interested,” Cuban said Tuesday.
Cuban was involved in the bidding for the Cubs and was outbid for the Rangers as a minority partner with Jim Crane last year. While his previous talks with McCourt didn’t go anywhere, he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bidding for the Dodgers again.
“At the right price, I’m interested,” he said. “Not if the price is over $1 billion.”
As we learned yesterday, McCourt is close to an agreement with MLB on a bankruptcy settlement in which he would agree to sell the Dodgers.
For what it’s worth, Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that McCourt would get “at least” $1 billion if he decides to sell the team and that suitors are “already lining up.”
UPDATE: According to Shaikin, a spokesman for McCourt denied Cuban’s claim that he offered to buy the Dodgers.
The Washington Nationals have acquired outfielder Ryan Raburn from the Chicago White Sox. Raburn had been playing at Triple-A Charlotte. He’ll be assigned to Triple-A Syracuse in the Nats organization. The Nationals will send cash or a player to be named later to the White Sox to complete the deal.
Raburn has yet to play in the majors this season. Last year he hit .220/.309/.404 with nine homers in 113 games for the Colorado Rockies. The year before that he hit an excellent .301/.393/.543 in part time play for the Indians. Over the course of his 11 year career the 36-year-old has hit .253/.317/.436, which breaks down to an OPS+ of exactly 100, which is league average. Primarily an outfielder, Raburn has played every position except shortstop and catcher in his career. He’s even pitched twice.
The Nats plans for him aren’t entirely clear, but depth it depth.
Jon Morosi reports that that the Detroit Tigers will make all veterans available via trade if they’re still under .500 by the end of June.
This was the position they entered the offseason with — everyone is available! — but they ended up gearing up for one more push with the core of veterans they currently employ. It was not a bad move, I don’t think. With the exception of the Indians, the AL Central is mostly down, or at least appeared to be over the winter, with the Royals in decline and the Twins and White Sox seemingly a few years away from contention. The Twins, however, have been fantastic and the Tigers have mostly underachieved.
So we’re back to this. Which veterans the Tigers can reasonably unload, however, is an open question. J.D. Martinez is in his walk year, so while tradable, he may not bring back a big return. Guys like Justin Upton, Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera either have very large contracts or no-trade protection.
The end of June is still a while from now, of course, and while the Tigers are under .500, they’re only 4.5 games behind the Twins. But they had better turn it around or else it sounds like the front office is going to turn the page.