According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, new Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said today that he hopes to have a new manager in place by Thanksgiving.
The Red Sox began the interview process today by welcoming Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin to Fenway Park. Mackanin, 60, has only served in an interim manager capacity with the Reds and Pirates, but told reporters following today’s interview that he is ready for the challenge of an official gig.
“I want the job because it’s something I’ve wanted for a while,” Mackanin said. “Coming up through the minor leagues, having played in the big leagues, it’s the top of the industry. It’s a premiere franchise. The way I look at it is, who wouldn’t want to manage the Boston Red Sox?”
Cherington expects to meet with “five or six” candidates before making a decision. Brewers hitting coach and former Red Sox third base coach Dale Sveum, the only other confirmed candidate, is scheduled to interview on Wednesday.
Interestingly, Cherington also acknowledged that certain members of Terry Francona’s staff, presumably DeMarlo Hale or Tim Bogar, haven’t necessarily been ruled out for the job.
The Cubs had a scare on Wednesday night when third baseman Kris Bryant left with an apparent ankle injury. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Nationals catcher Matt Wieters hit a pop up that veered just into foul territory near the third base bag. Bryant caught it but his momentum took him back into fair territory. In doing so, he stepped awkwardly on the third base bag and appeared to twist his ankle. Bryant needed the assistance of manager Joe Maddon and the team trainer to get off the field.
Bryant was diagnosed with a mild ankle sprain, CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney reports.
Bryant was 2-for-3 on the night before departing and being replaced by Jeimer Candelario. He’s now hitting .264/.395/.520 with 16 home runs and 32 RBI in 329 plate appearances. Needless to say, the 39-39 Cubs would see their playoff odds hurt immensely if Bryant were to miss a significant amount of time.
Hector Gomez reports Twins third baseman Miguel Sano will participate in the 2017 Home Run Derby, to be held in two weeks at Marlins Park in Miami. So far, Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton is the only other confirmed participant.
Sano, 24, is having an outstanding season, batting .274/.375/.548 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 293 plate appearances. According to MLB’s Statcast, only Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge (96.7 MPH) has a higher average exit velocity than Sano (96.4 MPH).
Brian Dozier was the last member of the Twins to participate in the Home Run Derby. In 2014 at Target Field, Dozier failed to make it into the second round after hitting only two home runs. Justin Morneau is the only Twin to have ever won the Home Run Derby, as he beat Josh Hamilton 5-3 in the finals of the 2008 Derby at Yankee Stadium — although Hamilton out-homered him in total 35 to 22.