Combination of file photos of MLB commissioner Bud Selig and Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt

The Frank McCourt trial pushed back a month

2 Comments

We were supposed to see Bud Selig and Frank McCourt take the stand in the final showdown in bankruptcy court next week, but the judge just kicked the whole thing a month.  The trial is now scheduled for November 29 through December 2.

No reason was given. No interesting reason has to exist. Litigation just works that way. In 11 years I had one trial begin when it was originally scheduled to begin. It just happens.

Practical implication: McCourt will definitely be in charge for the beginning of the offseason planning and team strategy heading into the Winter Meetings.  Of course, as Bill Shaikin reported last month, this may not make any practical difference in team strategy, as it is probably in everyone’s best interest that the team try to be competitive. There is short term money to spend, it seems.

Oh well. At least this will give us something to talk about around Thanksgiving, right?

Report: Mariners acquire Chris Heston from the Giants

Leave a comment

Jon Morosi of MLB Network and FOX Sports reports that the Mariners have acquired starter Chris Heston from the Giants. The Giants will receive a player to be named later, per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

Heston, 28, logged only five innings in the majors this past season as he battled an oblique injury and otherwise spent most of his time with Triple-A Sacramento. Heston was solid out of the Giants’ rotation in 2015, posting a 3.95 ERA with a 141/64 K/BB ratio in 177 2/3 innings over 31 starts.

Heston will be under team control through 2021. He’ll provide depth for the Mariners’ rotation in the meantime.

Joe Nathan wants to pitch in 2017

DETROIT, MI - AUGUST 16: Joe Nathan #36 of the Detroit Tigers pitches in the ninth inning of the game against the Seattle Mariners at Comerica Park on August 16, 2014 in Detroit, Michigan. The Tigers defeated the Mariners 4-2.  (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)
Leon Halip/Getty Images
2 Comments

Joe Nathan‘s agent, David Pepe, says his client wants to pitch in 2017, per ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick. “He’s like the Energizer Bunny,” Pepe said.

Nathan, 42, came back from Tommy John surgery in July, pitching two scoreless innings for the Cubs with four strikeouts and two walks. The Cubs released him and the Giants picked him up, and Nathan went on to pitch 4 1/3 scoreless innings down the stretch with five strikeouts and two walks.

According to FanGraphs, Nathan’s velocity wasn’t where it used to be, which is to be expected of a pitcher in his 40’s coming back from major elbow surgery. Still, with teams always on the hunt for bullpen depth, it would be shocking if Nathan didn’t get any bites before spring training starts.