Chris Carpenter seems to have forgotten one of those unwritten rules he cares so much about

67 Comments

Last night, after giving up a homer to Adrian Beltre, Chris Carpenter retired Mike Napoli on a long fly out to end the sixth inning.  After the fly ball, Carpenter appeared to yell multiple expletives at Napoli. Expletives that begin with the letter F and which seem to say “Good sir, you may have thought you were going to do something productive there, but you did not. Thus (a) you should go have intercourse with yourself; and (b) you are a portion of excrement.”

Or maybe he didn’t. Maybe he was just yelling “Motte” but everyone misheard him.  Either way, Big Legaue Stew has video of it with someone filling in the words that seem to fit Carpenter’s words, but be VERY forewarned: it’s loud and profane. It’s funny too, but that’s beside the point.

All of which makes me wonder about Chris Carpenter. About how he justifies his own behavior in light of the fact that he once famously called out a player for yelling at himself. That took place in 2010 when Carlos Lee popped out in a key situation and, angry at his failure, appeared to chastise himself for it.  The theory behind Carpenter’s anger at that: you don’t disrespect the pitcher by implying that the failure was your own as opposed to you being dominated by said pitcher. Yeah, I know, that sounds crazy, but at the time, Carpenter’s manager Tony La Russa said that Carpenter was totally in the right:

Pence hits the ball out of the ballpark. Carp didn’t make a good pitch. Carp doesn’t say a word. He doesn’t say anything to the guy that hit it. It’s his mistake. Well, routinely now, hitters pop up a pitch they think they should deal with and they start making noises, and that really is disrespectful to the pitcher. Most of the pitchers just turn around and ignore it. Carp doesn’t. I think Carp’s right, and I think Carp’s in the right. Respect should go both ways.

“If he gets you out, he gets you out. Zip it and go back to the plate. If he gives it up, you zip it and let the guy go around the bases–or single, double, whatever it was. Most pitchers let the guy
jabber. I don’t think Carlos Lee is anything special as far as a guy who disrespects, but it’s so common now. Carp will let you know.”

Respect should go both ways. Hitters should shut up no matter what, even if they’re not talking to the pitcher at all, but the pitcher can call the hitter a “piece of sh**” and give him the old “eff you” when he pops up.

Man, I’m glad we have Chris Carpenter around to keep us straight on all of these unwritten rules. They’re so complicated!

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
5 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.