sabathia hat gety

Report: Rangers prepared to throw ‘boatload of money’ at CC Sabathia this winter


Yankees ace CC Sabathia has stated time and time again that he wants to remain in New York, but all signs point to him opting out of his contract this winter in order to gain a few more years and dollars.

In order to secure those years and dollars, though, Sabathia will need other interested suitors.

The Yankees won’t open their wallets unless given a reason — an opponent or two willing to meet or exceed the already-lofty salaries on his current deal.

Enter the AL West champion Rangers.

A “baseball source” told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York this week that the Texas front office is preparing to make a significant bid for the 31-year-old left-hander with the expectation that he will indeed opt out after the World Series.

“I hear they’re going to throw a boatload of money at him,” said the source, who requested anonymity, “But I think he’ll stay with the Yankees. He’s talked so much about how much he loves New York, and besides, the Yankees can’t afford to lose him from that pitching staff.”

Sabathia posted a 3.00 ERA and 230/61 K/BB ratio in 237 1/3 innings this season for the American League East champion Yankees. It’s hard to imagine baseball’s biggest spenders letting him go, especially with their lack of rotation depth. But Nolan Ryan, Jon Daniels and Co. are apparently going to give it a whirl.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.


Ichiro Suzuki is re-signing with the Marlins for 2016

Ichiro Suzuki

Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.

Joe Frisaro of reports that an official announcement will be made later today,

Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.

He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.