Russell Martin expects to be back with the Yankees in 2012

14 Comments

Russell Martin signed with the Yankees as a free agent last offseason, but he remains arbitration eligible for 2012 and because of that the All-Star catcher said yesterday that he expects to be back in New York next season.

“So either I’ll get offered a contract or I won’t get offered a contract,” Martin told Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York. “It is the same situation I was in with the Dodgers last year. Now, it is up to the Yankees to make a decision. For me, I would like nothing more than to be here.”

Whereas the Dodgers non-tendered Martin following a career-worst, injury wrecked season, the Yankees will almost surely retain him for what will likely be around $6 million.

Martin’s overall numbers were mediocre and he cracked a .700 OPS in just two months, but for a one-year commitment at a hard-to-fill position he certainly makes sense after hitting .237 with 18 homers in 125 games. Among the 26 catchers to bat at least 300 times this season Martin ranked 14th in OPS and also threw out 30 percent of steal attempts.

Jose Reyes is hitless in 20 plate appearances to start the season

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
4 Comments

Mets backup infielder Jose Reyes pinch-hit and popped up in the top of the eighth inning of Thursday night’s game in Atlanta against the Braves. That ran his streak up to 20 consecutive hitless plate appearances to start the 2018 season. He has reached base once, however, on a walk, so there’s that.

Reyes, 34, signed a one-year, $2 million contract with the Mets near the end of January. At the time, the Mets hadn’t yet signed Todd Frazier, so Reyes was in the mix to contribute as a utilityman but he has operated as a bat off the bench for the most part this season.

One wonders how much longer the Mets are going to let Reyes flounder. According to FanGraphs, he has already been worth a half-win less than a replacement-level player. Only eight other players have been as bad or worse this season.