Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre hit a trio of solo homers Tuesday against the Rays, making him the seventh player ever to hit three in a postseason game and first to do it in an LDS.
Here’s the list:
1. Babe Ruth (NYY) – 1926 World Series – Game 4
2. Babe Ruth (NYY) – 1928 World Series – Game 4
3. Bob Robertson (Pit) – 1971 NLCS – Game 2
4. Reggie Jackson (NYY) – 1977 World Series – Game 6
5. George Brett (KC) – 1978 ALCS – Game 3
6. Adam Kennedy (ANA) – 2002 ALCS – Game 5
7. Adrian Beltre (Tex) – 2011 ALDS – Game 4
Beltre, who went 1-for-11 in the first three games of the series, took Jeremy Hellickson deep in the second and fourth and then homered again in his third at-bat off reliever Mike Moore. He’ll get up to the plate at least once more, and no one has ever hit four homers in a postseason game.
Update: Beltre hit a routine fly to right field to end the eighth. Unless the Rangers send nine men to the plate in the ninth or this one goes into extras, he won’t be batting again.