Andy Pettitte will return to the Yankee Stadium mound on Sunday. To pitch. Well, kind of.
According to beat writer Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com, the 39-year-old left-hander will toss the ceremonial first pitch before the Yankees’ Game 2 matchup against the Tigers.
Pettitte, who hasn’t officially retired but sat out all of this season, has not made a public appearance at the Stadium since 2010. He’s dropped by the home clubhouse, but only for brief visits with old friends.
Pettitte reiterated to reporters in a short chat Saturday that he has no desire to return to professional baseball, and that he’s enjoying his retirement. But he also offered the old “never say never” cliche.
“There is no doubt, I’m standing right here, you miss it,” said Pettitte, talking in the Yankees’ dugout Saturday, a few hours before the resumption of Game 1. “You would love to be out there, whenever you get here and get around the environment. [But] the desire is not there. The same desire that made me go home is the same desire to play. Again, like I’ve said, unless God works a miracle and gives me that desire to do that, I don’t see any chance.”
Pettitte registered a 3.88 career ERA over 16 MLB seasons. He had a 3.83 career ERA in the playoffs.
Update #2 (6:21 PM EST): Make that $37.5 million, per Heyman.
Update (6:02 PM EST): The deal is for “around” $37 million with deferrals that lower the present-day value, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that free agent 1B/OF Mark Trumbo is close to a deal with the Orioles. He first reported that the two sides were back in touch earlier on Thursday afternoon. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the deal is expected to be for three years and under $40 million.
Trumbo’s market hasn’t developed as he expected. The slugger turned down the Orioles’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. Then the Orioles reportedly made a four-year contract offer to him in December but pulled it off the table. Most recently, a report indicated that Trumbo lowered his expectations to a three-year deal in the $40-50 million range.
Trumbo, 31, led the majors with 47 homers for the Orioles this past season. He also hit a solid .256/.316/.433 with 108 RBI in 667 plate appearances. With Trumbo back in the fold and some slight offensive upgrades made, the Orioles figure to have a formidable offense in 2017.
The Astros avoided arbitration with pitcher Mike Fiers, agreeing on a $3.45 million salary for the 2017 season, per Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle. The right-hander was in his first of three years of arbitration eligibility.
Fiers, 31, made 30 starts and one relief appearance for the Astros in 2016. He finished the year with a 4.48 ERA and a 134/42 K/BB ratio in 168 2/3 innings.
Fiers had a much better showing in 2015 as well as in limited action in 2014, so the Astros are hoping he rediscovers that effectiveness going forward. He’ll slot into the back of the starting rotation.