Grady Sizemore was shut down for the rest of the season over the weekend. And while the Indians initially described the decision as a precautionary measure, today’s update from team trainer Lonnie Soloff is somewhat concerning.
According to the Associated Press, Sizemore will have his right knee examined by Dr. Richard Steadman on Monday in Colorado. This is significant because Steadman is the same doctor who performed microfracture surgery on Sizemore’s left knee in June of last year.
“I think we’re going out there just to get another opinion on his knee,” Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said. “What course of action puts Grady in the best possible position to play and perform next year?”
“We’re going out there just with Grady’s best interests in mind, short-term and long-term,” Soloff said. “I think we’re open to (Steadman’s) assessment and his recommendation. … I think that his expertise is what you seek.”
Sizemore was limited to just 71 games this season, batting .224/.285/.422 with 10 home runs, 32 RBI, zero stolen bases and a .706 OPS over 295 plate appearances. The 29-year-old center fielder didn’t make his season debut until mid-April following surgery and then suffered a bone bruise in his right knee and a sports hernia on a slide into second base in May. He served three separate stints on the disabled list this season.
Sizemore is in the final guaranteed year of a six-year, $23.45 million contract. The Indians will soon have to make a decision about whether to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2012 or pay a $500,000 buyout, which will make him a free agent for the first time in his career.