Watching the Cubs has soured Bob Brenly on managing again

6 Comments

As a former World Series-winning manager Bob Brenly’s presence in the Cubs’ broadcast booth naturally leads to speculation about him moving into the dugout, but watching the team go 145-176 during the past two seasons may have soured him on getting back into managing.

Here’s what Brenly told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune:

I kind of saw things that made me uncomfortable moving forward, trying to get that manager’s job. Unfortunately, a lot of them came true. It doesn’t make me Nostradamus or anything, but for me personally and professionally, I was much better off being where I was this year.

Brenly was briefly under consideration for the job last year before pulling his name out of the running and he clearly preferred spending the season alongside Len Kasper rather than alongside Carlos Zambrano.

Brenly has been pretty open with his criticism of the Cubs all season, which is one of the reasons why the Brenly-Kasper duo is one of the best in baseball, but he largely defended Mike Quade and said a turnaround is very possible for 2012. As for his 2012 plans, Brenly is under contract for more television work and said he won’t actively pursue any managerial openings.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”