The Royals have decided to baby Luke Hochevar

3 Comments

Luke Hochevar is far from the kind of 22-year-old hotshot starting pitcher teams typically shut down in September.  He actually turned 28 today, and he’s currently sporting a 5.29 ERA in 96 big-league starts (and four relief appearances).  Nevertheless, the Royals have decided to have him hang it up for the season because of concerns about his workload.

The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton has the quotes:

“Could he finish the year?” manager Ned Yost asked. “Yeah. He wants to. But for me, it just  doesn’t make any sense to continue to push his innings when he’s in a good spot.  It gives us an opportunity to look at somebody else.”

The decision likely has a lot to do with last year’s reduced workload, the result of a sprained elbow ligament that sidelined him from mid-June until early September.  Hochevar ended up throwing just 103 innings then before jumping to 198 this year.

“He’s had a real nice second half,” Yost said, “and the innings are  way up. He ends on a real good note. He’s healthy. He’s strong. He’s ready to go  230 innings next year without missing a beat.”

Well, let’s not go that far.  Generally, one has to be pretty good to pitch 230 innings.  Hochevar is ending this season with a 4.68 ERA.  Yost is right about the second half improvement — he went 6-3 with a 3.52 ERA and a particularly impressive 1.13 WHIP in his final 12 starts — but he got some help from the schedule makers there.  Overall, his peripherals suggest that little has changed.  This year’s strikeout rate is a little worse than his career average, the walk rate is a little better and the home run rate is almost exactly the same.

Hochevar may yet make the jump from No. 4 starter to No. 3 starter, but it’s hard to see him having much more upside than that.  With his salary likely to increase to $3 million or so in arbitration next year, it’s still to be determined whether he’s going to fit into Kansas City’s long-term plans or not.

Rob Manfred says Tampa Bay must pick up pace on new stadium

Getty Images
4 Comments

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred wants Tampa Bay to work a little quicker on getting the Rays a new ballpark.

Rays Principal Owner Stuart Sternberg has been working for nearly a decade to get a new stadium for the club and signed a three-year agreement with the City of St. Petersburg early in 2016 to search for a site in the Tampa Bay area. Manfred wants that search to pick up some steam.

“I think it’s fair to say we want the process to take on a better pace moving forward,” Manfred said Wednesday night at Tropicana Field, home of the Rays since their first season in 1998.

The Rays were averaging 15,815 fans per game before Wednesday night’s contest against the Toronto Blue Jays. That is just over half the major league average of 30,470. Tropicana Field and its location have been almost universally blamed as the reason for the poor attendance.

“I’ve been pretty clear that they need a new facility here, a major league quality facility in an A-plus location,” Manfred said. “It is time to move that decision to the front burner here in Tampa.”

The matter of how a stadium would be financed has been tabled until a site is determined, but Sternberg continued to express confidence in the Tampa Bay market.

“I’ve had the opportunity to bail on it many times over the years,” he said. “I won’t say this is a slam dunk, it’s certainly not. But I think we can do something that’ll at least double our attendance. That’s a lot to ask for.”

Manfred said Major League Baseball “doesn’t have a firm timetable” for what steps to take if the Rays fail to get an agreement to build a new stadium in the Tampa Bay area, but but added that “it is a topic of discussion in the industry, the lack of progress.”

More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball

Robinson Cano leaves game with hamstring tightness

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bad news for the Mariners this evening: Robinson Cano left Seattle’s game against the Atlanta Braves with tightness in his left hamstring.

Cano walked off the field after legging out a double — his second of the game — in the third inning. He pulled up as he approached second base and walked off the field, accompanied by a trainer. There was no immediate word on the severity of the injury. The Mariners have a day off Thursday before opening a series at the Yankees on Friday night, so they have some time to evaluate him.

Cano is hitting .277/.377/.460 with 19 homers and 78 RBI on the year.