Cincinnati general manager Walt Jocketty has an expiring contract, leading to speculation that he would leave the Reds for the Cubs, who let Jim Hendry go in July.
One report said that the Cubs had even discussed the possibility. But Reds owner Bob Castellini tells the Cincinnati Enquirer that Jocketty isn’t going anywhere. He also said of Reds manager Dusty Baker’s future that “of course he’ll be back.”
It makes sense, as the Reds seem to need only a few tweaks rather than an overhaul.
As far as what this means for the Cubs, our friend Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com has an in-depth look at the issue, and at the importance of this hire in what is ultimately a winnable division.
With Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder poised to become free agents, and the Cubs hoping to land some hotshot executive, the Central landscape could change dramatically.
But if Tom Ricketts gets this hire wrong, then the scouting and player-development infrastructure Hendry built could crumble. This organization could be set back for years to come, and starting all over again later this decade.
It’s a risk the chairman’s willing to take. The rest of the division will be rooting against the Cubs.
You can follow Bob on Twitter here, or if Facebook is your thing, be his friend here.
Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly reports that the Phillies are close to signing free agent reliever Joaquin Benoit. An announcement is expected before the winter meetings end on Thursday.
Benoit, 39, has quietly been among the better relievers in baseball over the past seven years. This past season with the Mariners and Blue Jays, the right-hander put up an aggregate 2.81 ERA with a 52/24 K/BB ratio in 48 innings. That included a 0.38 ERA in 23 2/3 innings after the Jays acquired him from the Mariners.
Benoit suffered a torn calf muscle during a benches-clearing brawl with the Yankees near the end of the regular season. He’s expected to be healthy for spring training.
The Phillies have now added three relievers this offseason with Benoit, Pat Neshek, and David Rollins.
ESPN’s Pedro Gomez provides a previously unreported detail of the new collective bargaining agreement, agreed to by the owners and the players’ union last week. Players’ meal money for road games is being reduced from $105 to $30 per day. Teams are providing pre- and post-game meals in the visitors’ clubhouse to offset some of the decrease in meal money.
Gomez quotes an unnamed player who said, “I doubt many guys know about the money going down, nor would they have agreed to it.” All of the players Gomez contacted said they were unaware of and unhappy about the change.
Clubhouse attendants are certainly unhappy about this change, too. As Gomez notes, the attendants previously provided food for visiting teams which earned them tips from the players.
EDIT: It’s worth clarifying that chefs are required in clubhouses now as part of the new CBA, so it’s not a complete loss for the players.