Andre Ethier backtracked a bit from his comments last month suggesting the Dodgers were making him play through a knee injury, but manager Don Mattingly just announced that Ethier has been shut down for the season.
According to Ethier doctors initially told him that playing through the injury wouldn’t make it any worse, but Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that he’s headed for a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews in Alabama.
Perhaps his condition has indeed gotten worse or maybe the Dodgers just realized that pushing an injured player to be in the lineup seems kind of silly when he’s hitting just .252 with two homers and a .672 OPS in 45 games since the All-Star break (although in fairness he’s played well in the brief time since the controversial comments).
Ethier hit .311 with an .846 OPS in the first half, yet will finish this season with the first sub-.800 OPS of his six-year career. He’s under the Dodgers’ control next season in his final year of arbitration eligibility and figures to make at least $11-12 million, so Ethier could find himself on the trading block this winter.
The 2017 MLB award season officially drew to a close on Friday with the Esurance MLB Awards, handed out to the best hitters, pitchers, front office members and moments in the 2017 season. Jose Altuve was crowned the Best Major Leaguer overall, beating out fellow finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, while two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber took home honors as Best Pitcher.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Rookie: Aaron Judge
- Best Defensive Player: Nolan Arenado
- Personality of the Year: Adrian Beltre
- Best Postseason Major Leaguer: Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander
- Best Postseason Moment: Alex Bregman‘s 10th inning walk-off single in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best TV/Radio Call: Joe Buck and John Smoltz call Jose Altuve’s game-tying three-run blast in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best Play (Offense): Nolan Arenado completes the cycle with a walk-off homer (video)
- Best Play (Defense): Austin Jackson‘s over-the-wall catch in the Red Sox’ bullpen (video)
- Best Single-Game Performance: Anthony Rendon‘s six-hit, three-homer, 10-RBI game (video)
- Best Player-Fan Interaction: Joey Votto gives Walter “Superbubz” Herbert a bat and jersey (video)
- Best Fan Catch: Fan’s brother-in-law grabs Yasiel Puig home run ball and chucks it back on the field (video)
- Best Manager: A.J. Hinch
- Best Executive: Jeff Luhnow
No surprises here — the world champion Astros ran away with seven awards, including those for Best Manger and Executive and a dual award for Best Major Leaguer of the Postseason. Altuve added to an impressive run this offseason after earning a Silver Slugger, two Players Choice Awards, Hank Aaron Award and MVP Award for his outstanding work in 2017, while Yankees’ slugger Aaron Judge continued to be a lock for all AL rookie-based awards after locking down the Rookie of the Year title earlier this week.