Rickie Weeks could be activated from the disabled list this weekend

1 Comment

According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said this afternoon that Rickie Weeks might be activated from the disabled list during a series against the Phillies this weekend.

But he won’t return to the starting lineup right away. The plan is for Weeks to be eased back into action via pinch-hit appearances and short stints in the field.

“We wouldn’t be activating him to play second base a lot. We would ease him in. We haven’t gotten there yet.”

Weeks hasn’t played since July 27 due to a severely sprained left ankle. The All-Star second baseman has yet to run the bases, but Roenicke said that he had “a really good day” during a workout Monday, showing less hesitation before starting to run a straight line in the outfield. The main goal is to have Weeks ready for the postseason, so with the benefit of a huge lead in the National League Central, the Brewers can afford to take it slow.

Weeks, who turns 29 next week, was batting .272/.346/.478 with 19 homers, 43 RBI, nine stolen bases and an .825 OPS over 469 plate appearances prior to the injury.

J.D. Martinez tells teams he prefers an outfield role

Getty Images
3 Comments

Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.

That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.

Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.