The Yankees are going to stick with six starters for a while

4 Comments

The Yankees six starters thing is kind of interesting to me simply because it’s not common, it’s less common on good teams than it is on bad teams and it’s really not that often that such arrangements last longer than a couple of weeks or so.  But the Yankees are still going with it for a while longer says Joe Girardi.

This is an about-face for the him, as he said before yesterday that he’d send either Phil Hughes or A.J. Burnett to the bullpen after the series with the Blue Jays.  But both of them will stay in the rotation for at least one more turn before it’s cut back to five men.

Hard to blame him.  The Orioles are up next, and what better opponent is there to give a couple of shaky guys confidence?  And what possible harm, with a playoff spot locked up, is there to giving the starters who the Yankees will really need to be ready for the playoffs — Sabathia, Nova and Garcia — a little more time off between turns?

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
7 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.