David Price fanned 14 batters in seven innings and combined with two relievers on a shutout as the Rays beat the Blue Jays 12-0 on Sunday.
Price topped the Rays record of 13 strikeouts in a game, set by Scott Kazmir and later matched by James Shields. The pitching staff as a whole fanned 18 batters today, also a franchise record.
The 14 strikeouts were tied for the third most by any pitcher this year. Here’s that list:
1. Cliff Lee: 16 vs. Braves on May 6
2. Jered Weaver: 15 vs. Blue Jays on April 10
3. Roy Halladay: 14 vs. Padres on April 23
3. Tommy Hanson: 14 vs. Astros on June 12
3. Justin Verlander: 14 vs. Diamondbacks on June 25
3. CC Sabathia: 14 vs. Mariners on July 26
3. Roy Halladay: 14 vs. Diamondbacks on Aug. 16
3. David Price: 14 vs. Blue Jays on Aug. 28
Today’s game was also big for Desmond Jennings, who homered in his first two at-bats on his way to a 4-for-5 day. He has eight homers and 14 steals in just 34 games since being called up. To put that in perspective, he’d be on pace for 35 homers and 62 steals in 150 games.
The Blue Jays, meanwhile, were complete humiliated, as Brandon Morrow gave up three homers for the second time this season. Mike McCoy was the only player in their lineup not to strike out. Kelly Johnson whiffed four times, and Jose Bautista and Jose Molina fanned three times apiece.