Alex Rodriguez met with Major League Baseball officials in Baltimore today. The topic: those tabloid/blog reports about his underground poker games and his alleged trip to Mohegan Sun.
MLB is not at all happy with A-Rod over this stuff. No word on whether part of that unhappiness has anything to do with his presence at Mohegan Sun somehow interfering with Major League Baseball’s extensive advertising relationship with Mohegan Sun. Awwwwwk-ward!
I’m willing to bet all of the canned goods on New York bodega shelves in advance of this hurricane that A-Rod gets no discipline out of this. I’d make the same bet even if they hadn’t already been looted bare.
Update: Rodriguez was quoted afterwards as saying that the two-hour meeting “went well.”
“They asked questions and I answered them,” he said. “I’ll let them review it, chew on it and then let them come back to us.”
Rodriguez also indicated that he denied much of what has been written about his participation in underground poker games.
“All the lies, you just can’t put up with that kind of stuff,” he said. “You just want facts and you always want to be treated fairly and I think I have been.”
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.