Report: Sandy Alderson nixed talk of Mike Pelfrey becoming Mets’ closer in 2012

8 Comments

Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that manager Terry Collins recently asked Mike Pelfrey if he’d be willing to serve as the Mets’ closer next season and the 27-year-old right-hander agreed, but general manager Sandy Alderson shot down the idea before it gained much traction.

Collins declined to discuss the situation and Martino writes that a move to the bullpen “almost certainly will not happen,” but the fact that it was discussed is interesting given Pelfrey’s struggles this season.

On the surface Pelfrey has declined sharply, going from 15-9 with a 3.66 ERA last season to 6-10 with a 4.61 ERA this year, but his strikeout and walks rates remain nearly identical. The big difference has been serving up 19 homers in 154 innings after allowing a total of just 12 homers in 204 innings last season.

New York’s bullpen needs plenty of help for 2012 and beyond, but the Mets aren’t exactly overflowing with rotation depth either and Pelfrey’s complete lack of experience as a reliever means he’s no sure thing to thrive in the bullpen anyway. Moving him from a 200-inning role to a 70-inning role doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Video: Hanley Ramirez’s No. 250 career home run barely left the field

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hanley Ramirez played a pivotal role during the Red Sox’ 9-4 win over the Angels on Friday night, crushing a two-run homer off of Alex Meyer to bring the Sox up to a four-run lead in the fourth inning.

Well, crushed might be the wrong word. The ball cleared the right field fence with a mere 350 feet, landing just beyond Pesky’s Pole to bring Ramirez’s career home run total to an even 250.

According to the ESPN Home Run Tracker, Ramirez’s milestone blast wasn’t the shortest home run of the year — not by a long shot. That distinction currently belongs to Rays’ outfielder Corey Dickerson, who skimmed the left field fence at Rogers Centre with a 326-foot homer back in April.

Asdrubal Cabrera requests trade from Mets

Getty Images
5 Comments

It’s shortstop or bust for Asdrubal Cabrera, who told reporters Friday that he will request a trade from the Mets after getting bumped to second base (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Cabrera served as the club’s starting shortstop through the first few months of the 2017 season, but lost the role to Jose Reyes while serving a stint on the 10-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb. The switch was confirmed prior to the Mets’ series opener against the Giants on Friday, prompting Cabrera to announce his trade request before taking the field.

Per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:

Personally, I’m not really happy with that move,” Cabrera said. “If they have that plan, they should have told me before I came over here. I just told my agent about it. If they have that plan for me, I think it’s time to make a move. What I saw the last couple of weeks, I don’t think they have any plans for me. I told my agent, so we’re going to see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson appeared skeptical of Cabrera’s request, telling reporters that he wasn’t sure a trade was “something [Cabrera] really wishes” and saying the team would wait and see how the situation shakes out. That doesn’t mean the veteran infielder will see a return to short anytime soon, however, only that he might have a change of heart after settling into his new role.

This isn’t the first time Cabrera has balked at a position change. The Mets reportedly considered shifting him to third base earlier this season, but ultimately decided to keep him at short and denied his request to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2018, something Alderson said has little to no precedent. Further changes may be on the horizon when 21-year-old infield prospect Amed Rosario gets called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and second baseman Neil Walker returns from the disabled list, though the team has yet to address either situation.