Jose Reyes ran yesterday for the first time since aggravating his left hamstring earlier this month, but Mets manager Terry Collins told the New York Post that it would be a “stretch” to expect him to be ready to return from the disabled list when he is first eligible Tuesday.
Reyes said yesterday that he wasn’t yet 100 percent, though he has seen considerable improvement over the past few days. More interesting, though, was his admission that he was worried about his hamstring in between stints on the disabled list.
“My confidence running-wise wasn’t there,” Reyes said of his time on the field between the two left hamstring strains that have landed him on the disabled list. “Anytime you have a problem with your hamstring, you don’t get your confidence back right away. It’s going to take some time to put it out of your mind.”
Reyes, an impending free agent, is batting .336/.377/.507 with five homers, 37 RBI and an .884 OPS over 462 plate appearances this season. While he still leads the National League in batting average, he also ranks first with 16 triples, second with 34 stolen bases, fifth with 80 runs scored and sixth with 144 hits.
UPDATE: Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger reports Jose Reyes ran the bases today and said he came close to running at full capacity. He isn’t sure when he’ll return from the disabled list, but believes that he will likely need to go out on a minor league rehab assignment first.
The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.
Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.
Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.