Wandy Rodriguez

Report: Astros place Wandy Rodriguez, Brett Myers on waivers

76 Comments

The Astros have decided to see if anyone will bite on their two most expensive starters, as they placed both Wandy Rodriguez and Brett Myers on waivers, SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports.

The salaries make it possible neither will be claimed.  Rodriguez is owed $36 million from 2012-14, while Myers will make $11 million next year and then either $10 million or a $3 million buyout for 2013.

Despite the big contract, Rodriguez is the more attractive property of the two.  He’s 8-9 with a fine 3.50 ERA this season.  He has a 3.44 ERA and a 35/14 K/BB ratio in 36 2/3 innings since the All-Star break.

Myers is currently 3-12 with a 4.72 ERA.  He’s still going six innings every time out, but almost always while giving up three or four runs.  His last win came on June 17.

For what it’s worth, Heyman says Rodriguez is 10:1 to get claimed, while there’s no chance of Myers getting claimed.  Danny Knobler of CBS Sports said last week that Rodriguez would likely get claimed by an NL team.

Video: Jarrod Dyson becomes the first in Marlins Park history to rob a home run

SURPRISE, AZ - FEBRUARY 25:  Jarrod Dyson #1 of the Kansas City Royals poses for a portrait during spring training photo day at Surprise Stadium on February 25, 2016 in Surprise, Arizona.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Christian Petersen/Getty Images
1 Comment

Marlins Park has been around since 2012, but coming into Thursday’s action, the ballpark hadn’t seen any player rob a home run. Royals outfielder Jarrod Dyson changed that in Thursday night’s series finale in Miami.

Christian Yelich smoked a 1-2 slider that Edinson Volquez left up in the zone, hitting what looked like a solo home run to straightaway center field. Dyson gave chase, timed his leap, and snagged the ball in spectacular fashion to save a run on Volquez’s behalf.

The Statcast numbers are pretty impressive:

Indeed, Dyson’s snag is the first home run robbery at Marlins Park, according to ESPN Stats & Info.

Mets are considering pushing back Jacob deGrom’s next start

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 18: Jacob deGrom #48 of the New York Mets pitches against the San Francisco Giants during the first inning at AT&T Park on August 18, 2016 in San Francisco, California.  (Photo by Jason O. Watson/Getty Images)
Jason O. Watson/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mets are concerned with starter Jacob deGrom and are considering pushing back his next start, MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo reports. The club thinks the right-hander is fatigued.

deGrom, 28, has had another strong season, currently standing with a 2.96 ERA and a 137/32 K/BB ratio in 143 innings. However, he’s battled command issues in his last two starts. Against the Giants and Cardinals, he gave up a combined 13 earned runs on 25 hits and three walks with eight strikeouts in nine and two-thirds innings.

The Mets are already without Steven Matz, Zach Wheeler, Matt Harvey, and Jon Niese. deGrom’s recent bout is just the latest in what has been a season-long starting pitching struggle for the club. Nevertheless, only the Cubs (2.85) and Nationals (3.57) have posted a better aggregate starting pitching ERA than the Mets’ 3.66.