It was a pretty exciting night of baseball last night. Or demoralizing. Guess it depends which side of the five walkoff endings your team was on. The rundown, for those who didn’t read the recaps:
- In Atlanta, Martin Prado’s hit a two-out, 11th-inning single, giving the Braves their second walkoff win over the Giants in as many nights;
- In Pittsburgh, Garrett Jones hit the game-winning homer off Arthur Rhodes, foiling La Russa’s lefty-on-lefty strategy. Which, my snark notwithstanding, was the right call given Jones’ pretty sharp platoon split over the course of his career;
- In Milwaukee, Mark Kotsay had a walkoff single;
- In Chicago, Juan Pierre had a walkoff single in the 14th inning;
- And, as we noted a few moments ago, you can’t stop Brian Bogusevic, you can only hope to contain him.
Just a fun night of coincidental late-game heroics and/or bullpen failures.
Or was it not so coincidental …