Chicago Cubs v Atlanta Braves

Cubs place Carlos Zambrano on disqualified list

39 Comments

Carlos Zambrano retiring? If only it was that easy.

According to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs have placed Zambrano on the disqualified list. This includes 30 days without pay and no contact with the team.

While Zambrano cleaned out his locker and reportedly told some of his teammates that he was thinking about retirement following last night’s ejection, Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that his agent Barry Praver told Cubs GM Jim Hendry that he is “not in the retirement mode.”

Right on cue, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears from a source that the players’ union plans to file a grievance against the Cubs for their decision to place Big Z on the disqualified list without pay.

If the Cubs are lucky, this will end with some sort of settlement where both sides will sit down and Zambrano will get a sizable chunk of the approximately $24 million left on his contract and be sent on his merry way. Not holding my breath on that, though.

UPDATE: Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs were told within two hours after Friday’s game that Zambrano “definitely” wasn’t retiring. He also made “private, emotional remarks” to the club staff and returned his belongings to his locker.

The Padres are aggressively shopping Yangervis Solarte

PHOENIX, AZ - OCTOBER 01:  Third baseman Yangervis Solarte #26 of the San Diego Padres fields a ground ball against the Arizona Diamondbacks during the sixth inning of a MLB game at Chase Field on October 1, 2016 in Phoenix, Arizona.  (Photo by Ralph Freso/Getty Images)
Ralph Freso/Getty Images
Leave a comment

In a column published on Sunday, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says the Padres are “aggressively shopping” third baseman Yangervis Solarte. The 29-year-old is entering his first of three years of arbitration eligibility and is projected to earn $2.7 million next season.

This past season, Solarte hit a solid .286/.341/.467 with 15 home runs and 71 RBI in 443 plate appearances. It’s quite impressive factoring in that he plays in the pitcher-friendly Petco Park.

Given that Solarte is team-controlled for three more years and he offers lots of versatility with previous experience playing first and second base as well as corner outfield, the Padres should receive a fair amount of interest.

Yankees sign Matt Holliday to a one-year, $13 million deal

ST. LOUIS, MO - JULY 20: Matt Holliday #7 of the St. Louis Cardinal hits a solo home run during the second inning against the San Diego Padres of game one of a doubleheader at Busch Stadium on July 20, 2016 in St. Louis, Missouri. (Photo by Scott Kane/Getty Images)
Scott Kane/Getty Images
5 Comments

Update (6:52 PM EST): The deal is expected to be one year for $13 million, per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports confirms the report.

*

The Yankees are close to signing veteran free agent Matt Holliday, WFAN’s Sweeny Murti reports.

Holliday, who turns 37 years old next month, was limited to 110 games in 2016 with the Cardinals due to a fractured left thumb suffered in the second half. He finished the season hitting .246/.322/.461 with 20 home runs and 62 RBI in 426 plate appearances.

Holliday is likely looking at spending the majority of his time in the DH role. Alex Rodriguez, Carlos Beltran, and Brian McCann handled the DH role for a majority of the time last season but all three have moved on — Rodriguez was released in the second half, Beltran just signed with the Astros, and McCann was traded to the Astros last month.