One week removed from being hit in the head by a comebacker off the bat of Nationals’ shortstop Ian Desmond, Juan Nicasio continues to make progress.
Nicasio was released from the hospital earlier this week after undergoing surgery to repair a fractured vertebrae in his neck. He is currently “resting comfortably at home” and has been able to “eat and sleep regularly.”
The good news doesn’t stop there, though.
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Rockies manager Jim Tracy is hopeful that Nicasio will be able to visit Coors Field next Monday when the team begins a nine-game homestand.
“I think there’s a chance he will be there. I talked with Juan Nicasio today,” Tracy said. “He told me that he would be ready in two weeks.”
Nicasio is obviously just kidding about the two week thing, but that he is able to have a sense of humor following such a scary incident is obviously an encouraging sign.
The Dodgers announced on Thursday that the club activated pitcher Grant Dayton from the 10-day disabled list and designated pitcher Sergio Romo for assignment.
Dayton, 29, went on the disabled list earlier this month with neck stiffness. He’ll resume with a 3.63 ERA and a 20/12 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings.
Romo, 34, signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Dodgers in February. It didn’t really work out, as the right-hander posted a 6.12 ERA with a 31/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. His peripherals are still decent, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a team in need of a bullpen arm makes a deal with the Dodgers within the week.
MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports that Royals pitcher Nate Karns underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Wednesday. He’s expected to be ready for spring training next year. Karns went on the disabled list in May with an elbow injury and didn’t make much progress.
The Royals acquired Karns from the Mariners in January in exchange for outfielder Jarrod Dyson. Over eight starts and one relief appearance, the 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 4.17 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio in 45 1/3 innings.
Karns will enter his first of three years of arbitration eligibility after the season, so he’ll be under the Royals’ control through 2020.