Nationals unlikely to sign draft pick who made racist tweets

15 Comments

Zach Houchins, the Nationals’ 15th-round pick in the 2011 draft who created a bit of a stir when a fanblog highlighted some very unflattering tweets, hasn’t heard from the team in months and is highly unlikely to sign a contract prior to the Aug. 15 deadline.

Houchins, a shortstop from a North Carolina juco, apologized to the Nationals back in June, but hasn’t had any contact with the team since, MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports.

“I called [the Nationals]. I apologized to Mr. Roy Clark [the team’s assistant general manager]. I apologized to him for what was said on Twitter,” Houchins said. “[Clark said], ‘Yeah, anything you said on Twitter was completely unacceptable.’ I understood where he was coming from. That was pretty much the conversation.”

Houchins indicated he plans to return to Louisburg College and try to improve his draft stock for next year.

Six-year old boy reports the Indians want to give Francisco Lindor a seven-year contract

2 Comments

The substance of the report is not shocking. Francisco Lindor is one of baseball’s brightest young stars and the Cleveland Indians would, no doubt, wish to lock him up for an extended period of time. The surprising part is the guy who reported that, yes, the Indians are working to get Lindor a seven-year extension.

That guy: six-year-old Brody Chernoff, son of Indians general manager Mike Chernoff. Brody was invited into the team’s broadcast booth during the ninth inning of their game against the Chicago White Sox. Indians announcer Tom Hamilton asked, no doubt jokingly, if his working on anything interesting. Brody:

“He’s trying to get, um, Lindor to play for seven more years,”

Again, not shocking. It would’ve been way worse if Brody had said “Dad’s working on a three-way deal that’ll send Naquin to an NL team in order to affect a three-way trade that’ll land us Verlander without having to deal directly with a divisional rival.” But I imagine Dad still would’ve preferred he not mention that.

Watch:

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.