Clay Buchholz aims to return for the postseason

4 Comments

The Red Sox confirmed today that Clay Buchholz does indeed have a stress fracture in his lower back, but Terry Francona told Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com that his return this season “hasn’t been ruled out.”

Buchholz will take part in a five-step recovery program, beginning with core-strengthening exercises, before being reevaluated in a month. If all goes well, he could then be cleared to begin a throwing program.

The odds of him returning this season will be long because the minor league schedule ends in early September, which means that he likely wouldn’t be able to make any rehab starts against advanced competition. Still, Buchholz is holding out hope that he will be able to return should the Red Sox reach the postseason.

“If there was a timetable then the postseason is where I’d want to come back. That makes the most sense to me,” said Buchholz. “I’ve been frustrated for a while. I’ve wanted to go out there and pitch. That’s why I’m here and that’s why they gave me the extension that they gave me earlier this year. It’s definitely something I didn’t want to happen, but I also believe that everything happens for a reason.”

According to Tony Lee of NESN.com, Buchholz is prepared to pitch out of the bullpen if he is able to return this season, but he is also willing to go to the instructional league in Florida to build up his pitch count if the Red Sox want need to make a start. Of course, looking at the bigger picture, the good news is that he is expected to be 100 percent for spring training next season.

Twins place Miguel Sano on the 10-day disabled list with shin injury

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Twins have placed third baseman Miguel Sano on the 10-day disabled list with a stress reaction in his left shin, per the Star Tribune’s LaVelle E. Neal. Sano left Saturday’s game against the Diamondbacks after running out a ground ball double play in the fourth inning and was held out of Sunday’s lineup.

Sano, 24, is batting .267/.356/.514 with 28 home runs and 77 RBI in 475 plate appearances this season. The Twins are five back of the Indians for first place in the AL Central and currently hold a tie with the Angels for the second Wild Card slot.

Ehire Adrianza got the start at third base during Sunday’s win and could handle the hot corner while Sano is out. Eduardo Escobar could also get some time at third.

Buster Posey thinks Hector Neris hit him on purpose

Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images
4 Comments

Giants catcher Buster Posey was hit by a pitch in the bottom of the eighth inning during Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Phillies. It was a first-pitch fastball from closer Hector Neris, who had just entered the game. The Giants then had the bases loaded, but Pablo Sandoval struck out to end the inning and the Giants went on to lose 5-2.

After the game, Posey said he thinks Neris hit him on purpose, per Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Posey thinks Neris thought he couldn’t get him out.

Per MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, Neris said “absolutely not” when asked if he threw at Posey on purpose. The rest of the Phillies clubhouse, per Zolecki, “Say whaaat?!”

Here’s a link to the video of Posey getting hit. Now that we have automatic intentional walks, pitchers don’t even have to risk throwing four pitches wide of the strike zone to intentionally walk a hitter, so if Neris felt he couldn’t get Posey out, there was still no need to hit him. Furthermore, Neris isn’t going to hit Posey to load the bases and put the go-ahead run on first in a 4-2 ballgame. Sandoval has been a much worse hitter than Posey, for sure, but Neris would lose the platoon advantage if he felt like facing Sandoval instead, anyway.

Getting hit hurts, so it’s understandable Posey may have been salty in the moment. But after the game, when the pain has subsided and he’s had time to think over everything, there’s no way Posey should still come to the conclusion that Neris was trying to hit him on purpose.