Oakland Athletics v Minnesota Twins

Nationals making progress in talks for Denard Span


UPDATE: ESPN’s Jayson Stark reports that the Nationals are “making headway” with the Twins in trade talks for center fielder Denard Span. The Twins are insisting that Drew Storen is included in the deal along with a second player. From Adam Kilgore’s report earlier in the day, we can assume that might mean Roger Bernadina. Mercy.

Interestingly, Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports tweeted a little bit earlier that the Yankees have also inquired about Denard Span, though he suspects it could be part of a bigger deal. In turn, Joel Sherman of the New York Post believes that it could be an avenue for the Yankees to flip Span to the Nationals for Tyler Clippard.

Of course, the Yankees originally swapped Clippard to the Nationals for Jonathan Albaladejo back in December of 2007. Jonathan Albaladejo? Exactly.

3:02 PM: Oh boy. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Twins want Roger Bernadina along with a reliever in any deal that sends Denard Span to Washington. What’s the hold-up here, Mike Rizzo? Give Bill Smith who he wants and tell him you’ll talk to him again next July.

12:02 PM: Just in case you thought the idea of trading Denard Span for Drew Storen was bananas, here’s this.

According to Scott Miller of CBSSports.com, the Nationals are now pushing Tyler Clippard instead of Storen in a potential trade.

Clippard, who was named to the National League All-Star team this season, has an impressive 1.70 ERA and 73/20 K/BB ratio over 58 1/3 innings this season. However, while Storen is under team control through 2016, Clippard would be eligible for free agency one year earlier.

Fortunately it sounds like the Twins aren’t having any of this, as Miller writes that they won’t accept a set-up man in return for Span. And as our own Aaron Gleeman will tell you, the Twins like the idea of a “proven closer.”

Span, 27, is owed $3 million next season, $4.75 million in 2013 and $6.5 million in 2014. His contract also includes a $9 million club option for 2015 or a $500,000 buyout.

Jose Reyes pleads not guilty to spousal abuse in Hawaii

Colorado Rockies' Jose Reyes follows through on a base hit against the Arizona Diamondbacks during the first inning of a baseball game, Thursday, Oct. 1, 2015, in Phoenix. (AP Photo/Matt York)
Leave a comment

Rockies shortstop Jose Reyes pleaded not guilty yesterday to abusing his wife in Hawaii on October 31.

Reyes was arrested at the time and was released after posting $1,000 bail. He was not in Hawaii for the arraignment and his not guilty plea was entered on his behalf by his attorney.

Which means that he’s probably in his usual offseason home on Long Island. Which, I am told, is a short drive from Major League Baseball headquarters. Which makes one wonder if Reyes has yet to be interviewed by Rob Manfred in anticipation of the punishment he will no doubt receive under Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy. A policy which specifically says that the Commissioner need not wait for the justice system to play out before assessing his own discipline.

So, Rob. How you doin’ man?


Giants interested in John Lackey

John Lackey
AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast

Ben Cafardo of the Boston Globe speculated on Sunday that there might be a connection between the Giants and veteran free agent right-hander John Lackey, and now FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that San Francisco is indeed in pursuit.

Rosenthal says the Giants, “like most clubs seeking pitching, [are] examining [a] wide range of options” in this starter-heavy free agent market. Lackey would make a ton of sense for any contender on something like a two-year deal. His free agency is tied to draft pick compensation, but that shouldn’t be much of a deterrent.

The 37-year-old right-hander registered a career-best 2.77 ERA across 218 innings (33 starts) this past season for the National League Central-champion Cardinals and he was St. Louis’ most reliable starter during the playoffs.

It’s well known that he wants to remain in the National League.

Angels sign catcher Geovany Soto to one-year contract

Geovany Soto
AP Photo/Alex Gallardo
Leave a comment

As first reported by beat writer Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have signed free agent catcher Geovany Soto to a one-year major league contract. MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez says the deal is worth $2.8 million guaranteed.

Soto will offer some veteran presence at catcher for the Halos alongside 25-year-old Carlos Perez, who hit .250/.299/.346 as a rookie in 2015.

Soto slashed .219/.301/.406 with nine homers in 78 games this summer for the White Sox.

The 32-year-old backstop is a .246/.331/.434 career hitter at the major league level.

White Sox acquire right-hander Tommy Kahnle from Rockies

Tommy Kahnle
AP Photo/David Zalubowski
Leave a comment

According to the official Twitter account of the Chicago White Sox, the club acquired right-hander Tommy Kahnle from the Rockies on Tuesday evening in exchange for minor league pitcher Yency Almonte.

Kahnle was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week in a flurry of moves made in preparation of next month’s Rule 5 Draft. The 26-year-old former fifth-round pick posted an ugly 4.86 ERA, 1.77 WHIP, and 39/28 K/BB ratio in 33 1/3 innings this past season for Colorado and he wasn’t much better at Triple-A Albuquerque.

Almonte, 21, had a 3.41 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 110/38 K/BB ratio in 137 1/3 innings this past season between Low-A Kannapolis and High-A Winston-Salem.

It’s a straight one-for-one deal of two non-prospects, and the timing of it — in the evening, with Thanksgiving approaching — has our Craig Calcaterra wondering whether an executive was just trying to get out of some family responsibilities …