White Sox GM debating whether to “turn over entire roster”

11 Comments

Ken Williams is never shy about making big moves and the White Sox general manager said yesterday that he’s considering whether to “turn over the entire roster” if the third-place, 50-51 team doesn’t show signs of improvement between now and Sunday’s trade deadline.

Williams told Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago that the White Sox have some proposed deals on the table that would kick-start a rebuilding effort by trading away veterans, but denied specific reports about offering Edwin Jackson and Matt Thornton to the Cardinals for Colby Rasmus.

I don’t want anyone to feel as though anything imminent is coming. I want the focus to be on these next number of games so we can put ourselves in position to maybe add rather than to subtract. I would much rather continue to fight the fight, but we need a little more consistency.

On one hand, you can look toward potentially adding. We’d have to add creatively because of the financial situation right now. And on the other hand, maybe this is the most opportune time to turn over the entire roster and get some young, exciting players in here and go that route.

An interesting subplot to Williams potentially dealing away multiple veterans is whether he’d still want Ozzie Guillen around to manage the rebuild and/or whether Guillen would want to go elsewhere rather than suffer through some lean times with a much younger roster.

In addition to Jackson and Thornton, some other White Sox veterans who could potentially appeal to contenders include Carlos Quentin, Gavin Floyd, A.J. Pierzynski, Omar Vizquel, and Jesse Crain. Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle presumably aren’t going anywhere and it’s tough to imagine any teams pursuing Juan Pierre, Jake Peavy, Alex Rios, or Adam Dunn.

Miguel Cabrera is being sued for reduced child support payments

Jason Miller/Getty Images
11 Comments

Tigers first baseman/DH Miguel Cabrera is being sued by a woman from Orlando, Florida who claims that he “unilaterally” reduced the amount of his monthly child support payments, Tony Paul of The Detroit News reports. Cabrera, who has three children with his wife Rosangel, also had two children with Belkies Mariela Rodriguez in 2013 and 2015.

Cabrera pays more than $6,200 per month in child support and helped Rodriguez purchase a nearly $1 million house. Rodriguez’s attorney calls Cabrera’s monthly payments “inadequate” because her children don’t quite have the same standard of living as Cabrera’s three children with Rosangel. Cabrera’s legal team accused Rodriguez of “embarking on a mission to extort additional moneys to be used for her benefit under the guise of child support.”

Cabrera, 34, signed an eight-year, $248 million contract extension with the Tigers in March 2014, which officially began in 2016. He made $22 million in 2014-15, $28 million in 2016-17, and will earn $30 million from 2018-21 and $32 million in 2022-23.

Along with reduced child support payments, Rodriguez alleges Cabrera left her “high and dry” when it came to monthly expenses with the house he helped her purchase.

Cabrera has requested that the judge recuse herself from his case, as her husband has a title with Rodriguez’s lawyers’ law firm following a merger. He is scheduled to be questioned under oath during a videotaped deposition on Thursday in Orlando. Rodriguez is scheduled for her deposition on Friday.

Cabrera is not the only player to find himself embroiled in such a case. Bartolo Colon was also sued for back child support for a “secret family” last year.