According to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, the Braves, Giants, Phillies, Rangers and Red Sox have all had scouts watching Carlos Beltran this weekend as the Mets take on the Marlins.
They should be liking what they’re seeing. Beltran just drove in a run for the third straight game with a first-inning sac fly versus the Marlins. He also walked once Friday and three times Saturday. He entered Sunday’s game hitting .291/.393/.520 in 344 at-bats.
Passan, though, labels the Giants the front-runners and says outfielder Francisco Peguero could be part of a deal. The Giants are likely trying to get Beltran without losing either their No. 1 position prospect, Gary Brown, or their No. 1 pitching prospect, Zack Wheeler.
Peguero a toolsy 23-year-old center fielder, has hit .269/.283/.417 with three homers in 108 at-bats for Double-A Richmond this season. Last year, he hit .322 with 10 homers, 16 triples and 40 steals for Single-A San Jose, but it came with an 88/18 K/BB ratio in 510 at-bats.
2:20 p.m. EDT update: Heyman hears that the Phillies have said no to including either outfielder Domonic Brown or top pitching prospect Jarred Cosart in a deal for Beltran. They have other quality pieces, such as first baseman Jonathan Singleton, RHP Brody Colvin and RHP Trevor May, but the Mets may be able to do better.