Boston Red Sox' Ellsbury hits a home run against the Detroti Tigers during the fourth inning of their MLB spring training baseball game in Lakeland, Florida

Red Sox’s hopes for Jacoby Ellsbury extension getting more expensive with every homer

18 Comments

During a radio interview this morning general manager Theo Epstein noted that the Red Sox unsuccessfully tried to work out a long-term contract extension with Jacoby Ellsbury in the past and would still like to do so, but the center fielder’s price tag is rising rapidly.

Here’s what Epstein said on the Dennis and Callahan Show:

This isn’t the right forum to talk about it. Those conversations are always behind closed doors. But I guess it’s not a secret we sat down and tried in the past to do that, lock Jacoby up, and I hope we’ll sit down in the future again and try to do it once more at the appropriate time. He’s somebody we’ve long believed in, we’ve long seen as a core young member of the organization that we would love to keep around.

Ellsbury is earning $2.4 million in his first season of arbitration eligibility and will be under team control in 2012 and 2013, so there’s no rush to get something done. On the other hand, he’s bounced back from an injury wrecked 2010 to hit .316 with 15 homers in 95 games after totaling 20 homers in his first 349 games, which along with having Scott Boras as an agent guarantees Ellsbury will be looking to break the bank.

Plus, as Rob Bradford of WEEI.com points out Boras has typically tried to avoid letting his clients give up free agent years as part of contract extensions, so even if the Red Sox are willing to meet his rising asking price that may not even be an option. Quite a bit different than just a year ago, when Ellsbury hit .192 and was limited to 18 games by injuries.

Tim Tebow hits a homer in his first instructional league at bat

PORT ST. LUCIE, FL - SEPTEMBER 20: Tim Tebow #15 of the New York Mets hits a home run at an instructional league day at Tradition Field on September 20, 2016 in Port St. Lucie, Florida. (Photo by Rob Foldy/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Because of course he did.

It wasn’t just his first at bat, but it was his first pitch. It came off of John Kilichowski, an 11th round draft pick of the St. Louis Cardinals out of Vanderbilt.  The ball went out to left center, off the bat of the lefty Tebow.

Next time, meat, throw him a breaking ball.

Joaquin Benoit blames overly-sensitive hitters for benches-clearing incidents

TORONTO, CANADA - SEPTEMBER 12: Joaquin Benoit #53 of the Toronto Blue Jays delivers a pitch in the seventh inning during MLB game action against the Tampa Bay Rays on September 12, 2016 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)
8 Comments

The other night, Blue Jays reliever Joaquin Benoit needed help getting off the field after the second benches-clearing incident with the Yankees. It was later revealed that Benoit tore a calf muscle during the fracas, ending his season.

Yesterday he pointed the finger at just about everyone else for the incidents like the one that led to his injury. Hitters specifically. From The Star:

“I believe as pitchers we’re entitled to use the whole plate and pitch in if that’s the way we’re going to succeed,” Benoit said. “I believe that right now baseball is taking things so far that in some situations most hitters believe that they can’t be brushed out. Some teams take it personally.”

That “take it personally” line is interesting coming from Benoit as, in this instance, it seemed pretty clear that the whole plunking exchange which led to his injury started because Josh Donaldson took an inside pitch that did not seem to be a purpose pitch at all, too personally.

Did Benoit take a veiled swipe at his teammate here? If so, that’s pretty notable. If not it’s notable in another way, right? As it suggests that Benoit believes it’s OK for his teammates to take issue with inside pitches but anyone else who does is part of the problem?

Which is it, Joaquin?