The Mets are beginning to look a lot like sellers, but they are finally close to getting their third baseman back.
David Wright went 1-for-2 with a double, a walk and a run scored last night in his first minor league rehab game with High-A St. Lucie. According to Greg Auman of ESPN New York, he also played five innings at third base.
“It felt good. It was obviously good to get back out there,” said Wright, who walked in the third inning and struck out swinging in the fifth at Joker Marchant Stadium. “A little rusty, and obviously I need a few more at-bats, but overall, I’m excited about how the first game went. So far, so good.”
Wright has been sidelined since May 15 due to a stress fracture in his lower back. He expects to play seven innings Saturday before playing full games next week. If all goes well, he’s on track to rejoin the Mets next Friday in Florida.
Wright was batting just .226/.337/.404 with six homers, 16 RBI and a .741 OPS before the injury, but the Mets could really use his bat in their lineup right now. They are batting just .237 with a .367 slugging percentage over their first 11 games this month.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.