Kansas City Royals v Detroit Tigers

Jeff Francoeur wants to be part of the Royals’ future

15 Comments

Bob Dunn has a story in the Kansas City Star about Jeff Francoeur’s place in the world at the trading deadline. Short version: he would prefer not to go:

“People keep asking me about it,” he said. “And what I say is I’m sure if a team came to the Royals and overwhelmed them (with an offer) for me or Melky (Cabrera), they’d probably have to do it. But you know what? I think a lot of us will be here … At some point,” Francoeur said, “we’ll talk to Dayton about the option. Maybe get a two- or three-year deal or something. I’ve told Dayton that I like it here. I’d love to stay here … Because … let’s say you trade me and Melky, you’re just starting over. If you’re trying to build something to go to the next level, at some point you’ve got to make a stand and keep guys.”

After a fast start, Francoeur is basically at his pedestrian career norms. Given how he always starts fast when he changes teams, you’d think he’d love a trade!

In all seriousness, though, the Royals are in a rather interesting position with this guy.  Contrary to what he implies, he is not one of those veterans a team regrettably lets go, suggesting no commitment to the future and he is not one of the guys whose retention would signal a brave new course for the Royals. It’s not Carlos Beltran circa 2004.

But he’s also not useless. In spring training I talked to some people at Royals camp who said they’d be utterly shocked to see him stay in Kansas City past 2011, but it’s not crazy that he could.  Maybe not on that $4 million option, but some way. There’s value to having a guy fill a position in a middling-to-average way. One less thing to worry about.

The key is what, if anything, a team would offer for him here at the deadline.  I have a hard time seeing someone offering a prospect who could be a starter in the next year or two. And if Dayton Moore can get no better — if it’s an organizational arm or some less-talented toolsy future corner outfielder —  isn’t having an amiable, partially useful and happy guy like Francoeur filling the hole preferable?

Report: Mark Trumbo signs three-year, $37.5 million contract with Orioles

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 04:  Mark Trumbo #45 of the Baltimore Orioles runs the bases after hitting a two-run home run in the fourth inning against the Toronto Blue Jays during the American League Wild Card game at Rogers Centre on October 4, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images)
Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images
9 Comments

Update #2 (6:21 PM EST): Make that $37.5 million, per Heyman.

*

Update (6:02 PM EST): The deal is for “around” $37 million with deferrals that lower the present-day value, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

*

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that free agent 1B/OF Mark Trumbo is close to a deal with the Orioles. He first reported that the two sides were back in touch earlier on Thursday afternoon. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the deal is expected to be for three years and under $40 million.

Trumbo’s market hasn’t developed as he expected. The slugger turned down the Orioles’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. Then the Orioles reportedly made a four-year contract offer to him in December but pulled it off the table. Most recently, a report indicated that Trumbo lowered his expectations to a three-year deal in the $40-50 million range.

Trumbo, 31, led the majors with 47 homers for the Orioles this past season. He also hit a solid .256/.316/.433 with 108 RBI in 667 plate appearances. With Trumbo back in the fold and some slight offensive upgrades made, the Orioles figure to have a formidable offense in 2017.

Astros avoid arbitration with Mike Fiers

SEATTLE, WA - SEPTEMBER 17: Starting pitcher Mike Fiers #54 of the Houston Astros walks to the dugout after pitching an inning during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on September 17, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. The Astros won the game 2-1. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Astros avoided arbitration with pitcher Mike Fiers, agreeing on a $3.45 million salary for the 2017 season, per Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle. The right-hander was in his first of three years of arbitration eligibility.

Fiers, 31, made 30 starts and one relief appearance for the Astros in 2016. He finished the year with a 4.48 ERA and a 134/42 K/BB ratio in 168 2/3 innings.

Fiers had a much better showing in 2015 as well as in limited action in 2014, so the Astros are hoping he rediscovers that effectiveness going forward. He’ll slot into the back of the starting rotation.